Tortoise trying to escape

csvp85

Location (City and/or State)
London uk
My 2 year old is trying to escape her enclosure and I often find her on her back after trying to climb the barrier. Any advice on how to keep her safe maybe she needs something to keep her busy in the enclosure.
I have started letting her walk around the living room undersupervision once a day, not sure what else is good for her.

Tolis

Tortoise Club
Cyprus EU
Can you describe or even better share pictures of the enclosure? It's probably trying to escape because the conditions are not appropriate.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
If the conditions are appropriate, there are some things to prevent escaping, like building a lip to the wall, or a lid for the enclosure. But we want to hear more about the enclosure first.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
With that in mind I’m going to include some information below on an example of the correct kind of set up for her, parameters, levels etc, so then you can make any adjustments if needed, if something is off it could possibly explain the behaviour🙂

This is one way to come up with an appropriate indoor set up, including the appropriate indoor uv, if they are primarily housed outdoors, you may not need it, but if housed inside for a good portion of the year, I’d add it.

Basking light should be an incandescent floodlight(example attached) on a 12 hour timer.

Basking temperature directly under the floodlight should be 95-100f. The rest of the enclosure should be ranging 75-80 during the day.

You may also wish to add ambient lighting on the same timer, providing shady areas with hides and safe plants.

Then CHE/CHE’s(ceramic heat emitters) always on a thermostat, for night heat if your house drops below 60’s at night. Set the thermostat for a night temperature place the probe in their cooler end, plug the che into it and the thermostat into the mains, it’ll be plugged in 24/7 but will only turn on when the temperature drops. If your house stays in the 60’s don’t worry about this!

Uv should be a t5 fluorescent tube, avoid the compact and coil uv bulbs, they don’t give out enough uv and can hurt the tortoises eyes. The uv can be on a 4 hour timer from noon. I’ve attached examples of the two brands to go for and some examples of how to mount them.

With lighting always avoid anything labelled halogen or mercury vapour.

For substrates, either coco coir, dampened and packed down by hand as a base, with a layer of orchid(fir not pine) bark or forest floor on top, or just the orchid bark/forest floor. Never use anything with sand mixed in, no top soils and no kinds of moss. The problem with top soil is unless you’ve composted it yourself, you don’t know what kind of plants have gone into it, it could be something toxic. Sand can irritate the eyes and be an impaction risk, moss is an impaction risk too.

You want to aim to have the bottom layer of substrate damp, to do this pour lukewarm water into the corners, not loads but enough to dampen the entire bottom layer. To stop that top layer getting a little too dry/dusty, mix the substrate now n then. Check your monitors and substrate to do the pours as and when needed.

I’d personally recommend you make your own base to go as big as you possibly can for the space you have, roaming room is vital for tortoise health, it aids in digestion and builds muscle strength. The closer you can get to an 8x4 size the better, but again if yours is primarily housed in a large outdoor space, you’ll get away with something smaller for whilst they’re inside. They still do need roaming room though. 8x4 is considered a minimum.

When making your base, just make sure the material is safe, some use flower beds, or take a large bookcase, take out the shelves and lie flat, or just make their own, for all these options I’d line with cheap pond liner to protect the base, making sure the liner goes up the sides too and make sure those sides are deep enough! They can be professional escape artists😂

I’ve also included examples of stands people make/buy to hang their lighting, use a temperature gun to determine how high the basking bulb needs to be, the uv I suggested needs to be mounted 18-20 inches from the substrate.

For a water dish a shallow terracotta saucer is considered safest, they have grip in the event your tortoise flips themselves, most pet store options are a known hazard.

I’d also always recommend getting your hands on a temp gun, they’re SO handy when setting up a new environment or for checking your monitors are correct🙂

With yours being younger they may benefit from some higher humidity which you could achieve with a greenhouse topper, it won’t be needed much longer now she’s already two, but thought I’d mention it👍

Attachments

• IMG_1669.png
    IMG_1669.png
    149.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1628.png
    IMG_1628.png
    178.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1872.jpeg
    IMG_1872.jpeg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1871.jpeg
    IMG_1871.jpeg
    238 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1873.jpeg
    IMG_1873.jpeg
    32 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1672.jpeg
    IMG_1672.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1670.jpeg
    IMG_1670.jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1733.jpeg
    IMG_1733.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1683.png
    IMG_1683.png
    151.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1679.png
    IMG_1679.png
    143.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1684.jpeg
    IMG_1684.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Videos have to be posted to YouTube and then shared here.
Pictures can be posted right to your thread.
Letting it roam the floors of your house is not the proper thing to do. In fact it can be dangerous and deadly for your tort.
Like it's either to all of an enclosure or the temps are not right.
Post the pictures so we can help
Also list all the equipment you use. Type of bulbs, temp gauges, what the temps are and what the humidity is.

csvp85

London uk
She has been fine in the enclosure for the last month, its only this week that she keeps toppling over while trying to climb out.
She loves walking around the house but I can only let her out when I am supervising. It may be that she is bored. I found her underneath her pool the other day. She is very active.

I have attached pics of the enclosure

Attachments

• 20240711_130336.jpg
    20240711_130336.jpg
    864.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240711_130327.jpg
    20240711_130327.jpg
    797.5 KB · Views: 1

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
She has been fine in the enclosure for the last month, its only this week that she keeps toppling over while trying to climb out.
She loves walking around the house but I can only let her out when I am supervising. It may be that she is bored. I found her underneath her pool the other day. She is very active.

I have attached pics of the enclosure
That does unfortunately look far too small for her, once she’s an adult she needs upwards of an 8x4 foot space, at two already she needs something bigger than what’s in the photo, hopefully my first reply can help you🙂

I’d highly discourage indoor free roams,
being away from their heat source means they’re being exposed to temperatures that are too low quite often, smooth surfaces like laminate flooring will wreak absolute havoc on their hip joints over time.

There’s just numerous reasons it isn’t a good idea unfortunately, harmful floor cleaners, foreign objects being swallowed, getting stuck under things they shouldn’t like shelving or sofas, low temperatures, no uv, getting hit by doors, one member has mentioned they knew someone who’s tort got their head crushed in a door jam😣, flipping hazards, smooth services, the list goes on and is endless.

They feel most comfortable and safe in a space that best mimics their natural environment, so an appropriate sized enclosure is always the ultimate goal, hopefully we can help🥰

csvp85

London uk
That does unfortunately look far too small for her, once she’s an adult she needs upwards of an 8x4 foot space, at two already she needs something bigger than what’s in the photo, hopefully my first reply can help you🙂

being away from their heat source means they’re being exposed to temperatures that are too low quite often, smooth surfaces like laminate flooring will wreak absolute havoc on their hip joints over time.

There’s just numerous reasons it isn’t a good idea unfortunately, harmful floor cleaners, foreign objects being swallowed, getting stuck under things they shouldn’t like shelving or sofas, low temperatures, no uv, getting hit by doors, one member has mentioned they knew someone who’s tort got their head crushed in a door jam😣, flipping hazards, smooth services, the list goes on and is endless.

They feel most comfortable and safe in a space that best mimics their natural environment, so an appropriate sized enclosure is always the ultimate goal, hopefully we can help🥰
Thank you for your advice. I had just built this enclosure a month ago! 😳 Have to go back to the drawing board 😊

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you for your advice. I had just built this enclosure a month ago! 😳 Have to go back to the drawing board 😊
Remove the water dish, it's dangerous and add a clay saucer for water, one big enough she can get into.
If you can, add into that end that the water dish is on. Also add a plant or two, even hanging above, but draping down into the enclosure will make her feel safer and less exposed.

ND135

Maryland

I agree with @Littleredfootbigredheart
Your tort needs more space and I'd say higher sides.
I just moved my red foot into a larger enclosure (6x3) he is 3 yrs old.
He tried to climb out a few times (he was in glass and used to seeing out-so I think he was trying to get to his regular view). I put flat slate boards upright in the corners and moved any plants/decorations away from the corners. He now avoids trying to climb out. The slate is like a small cutting board from Amazon. I got a 6 pack so one in each corner and plenty more for him to eat from in the enclosure.

Good luck!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My 2 year old is trying to escape her enclosure and I often find her on her back after trying to climb the barrier. Any advice on how to keep her safe maybe she needs something to keep her busy in the enclosure.
I have started letting her walk around the living room undersupervision once a day, not sure what else is good for her.
This enclosure is far too small, and its also wide open and barren. There is nowhere to hide or snuggle up tight.

Your lighting needs to be directly over head, and you need more ambient light too.

Those ramped bowls are a tortoise death trap.

Free-roaming on the floor is dangerous and cannot be made safe. Many tortoises die this way. It also makes the problem you are having far worse because the tortoise realizes that there is a bigger world out there and it wants out. Make your tortoise's enclosure the appropriate size, with the correct heating and lighting, add furniture, potted plants and hides, and leave the tortoise in its enclosure. Make an even bigger enclosure outdoors for fair weather.

Give this a read through at least twice for the correct info:

Flash_100YardDash

Matthews, NC
I also have a 2+ year old Hermann. We got him from a rescue because he was either dumped or escaped an enclosure. This is our second summer with him and he paces the barriers a lot. He roams a 25x25' area during the day (half shaded), and has 4x8 enclosures for night/winter. I have the 25x25 area really well enclosed with fencing, but just two days ago he disappeared. I looked everywhere and couldn't find him. Searched our yard as well - looked at our security cameras, everything. It turns out he was in a little strawberry/raspberry garden I have blocked off from the rest of his domain. He apparently did some mission impossible moves to shimmy sideways through a 3" wide space between a 3' long planter box and a wall to get in. Since I found him he has repeated the manuever 3 times. Short story long, even if they have ample space, they are still trying to escape.