Help please injured sulcata tortoise

GrouchysGranny

Location (City and/or State)
Hanford CA
Monday my grandsons tortoise was injured by their dog entering her enclosure. We took her to the vet and she was given antibiotics and cream for her shell. They are leaving on vacation and rather than leave her to the pet sitter I have her at my house. Right now she is in a small basket on a towel. I plan on getting her a larger box. So I can move her in and out of the house so she can get sun and walk around in the lawn. But what do I use as substrate for her?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I am sorry this happened, always a bad combination - dog and tortoise! Please try to post the pictures so we can advise you better. And thanks for keeping her with you to try to ensure her good care!

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
Sorry for your experience. I would keep her inside until the wounds heal up a bit ( you dont want flies and other nasty stuff getting at it. U can let her out for some supervised exercise ..but i would cover the wounds up with a bandage to keep infection away while shes outdoors

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
You are lucky.. it could have been a lot worse. Good luck and wishing her well!

GrouchysGranny

Hanford CA
Sorry for your experience. I would keep her inside until the wounds heal up a bit ( you dont want flies and other nasty stuff getting at it. U can let her out for some supervised exercise ..but i would cover the wounds up with a bandage to keep infection away while shes outdoors
Right now she is on my kitchen floor with some food and water. The vet gave us a cream to cover her wounds with

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
Right now she is on my kitchen floor with some food and water. The vet gave us a cream to cover her wounds with
I would try to get something to keep her in.. roaming the floor is not ideal as something as simple as a long strand of hair if eaten could cause some serious problems.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree, I would not keep her outside or on substrate, at least not dirt or coconut coir. The larger fir bark would be better then fine stuff.
If you do take her outside, have her on grass.
If you can set up a large kiddie pool inside for her or a large puppy play pen fencing and use a tarp on the floor. She still needs all her proper temps. Basking temp with a incandescent flood bulb that reaches 95-100 at tortoise height. Tube fluorescent Uvb light, unless you get her outside 3-4 times a week and at least a humid hide.
I would clean the wound daily then apply cream or follow directions of the vet.