Lethargic Tortoise

Kisobel

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Heya people, unfortunately it may have happened again.

My tort Herman has been lethargic again recently, like all limbs lay down while head is also out resting whilst his eyes are closed under the heat lamp.

Normally I’d say he just sleeping but it’s not the first time he been doing it recently. The temperatures are all correct, 32 hot 26 cool (degrees C)

All the lights are correct, all correct timing etc.

His diet has changed yes but that was from him being picky. It has now became a very leafy green type grocery store type diet so maybe that’s the problem, he still gets his baths but I’ve been at work lots recently so haven’t been able to monitor. All I’ve noticed is the white stringy wee as of recently so I’m not sure.

I’d really like to know how I can help him, I’m lost and feeling like a really bad owner again :/

Any info that you need I’ll try my best to respond with, but is there any advice where I can help him?

The pic below isn’t of what I just seen, he was very more all limbs spread out type of laying. But this is when I noticed the napping under lamp, what he normally doesn’t do.

Please let me know any advice. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5936.png
    IMG_5936.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

Kisobel

United Kingdom
Additional part, I’ve found this on his head that showed up? I’m not sure what it is. Any help?

Attachments

• IMG_5941.png
    IMG_5941.png
    803.9 KB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your temps are not correct. Basking should be 95-100F
All over should range from 75-80.
They aren't off a lot but get them higher.
Also what is the humidity? Hatchling should be in a closed chamber with 80% humidity and adult can have around 50%
You don't have moss or sand in the enclosure do you? If so remove it, both can cause impactions and moss also entanglement inside and out

Kisobel

United Kingdom
Your temps are not correct. Basking should be 95-100F
All over should range from 75-80.
They aren't off a lot but get them higher.
Also what is the humidity? Hatchling should be in a closed chamber with 80% humidity and adult can have around 50%
You don't have moss or sand in the enclosure do you? If so remove it, both can cause impactions and moss also entanglement inside and out

I have no moss or anything like that, the temp does rise to about 32-35.

Humidity I can’t really fix but it goes to about 30-50 it fluctuates. I try my best to get it higher but currently working on that.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have no moss or anything like that, the temp does rise to about 32-35.

Humidity I can’t really fix but it goes to about 30-50 it fluctuates. I try my best to get it higher but currently working on that.
If it's a young baby yet it needs the closed chamber enclosure and that will get the humidity where it needs to be and hold it there. About once a week or so you would dampen the substrate.
If it's a juvie or adult then your humidity isn't bad, but yes, shoot for 50% dampening the substrate more will help there.
Get the over all temp to 80F and the basking to 95-100/38C and see how she does then.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello again, I’m sorry your baby doesn’t seem to be doing well at the moment, hopefully it he suggestions given will help.

From what I recall you do indeed have a closed chamber correct? It looked like some sort of pvc or melamine viv? If there are vents, I suggest trying to seal them over and pouring some lukewarm water into the substrate, not too much, but enough to get your bottom layer nice and damp, see if that helps hold your humidity. If it doesn’t, I'm inclined to say the enclosure isn’t sealed properly. This is a younger tortoise from what I remember? So humidity does need to be higher than 50, more in the 80 range

Kisobel

United Kingdom
Hello again, I’m sorry your baby doesn’t seem to be doing well at the moment, hopefully it he suggestions given will help.

From what I recall you do indeed have a closed chamber correct? It looked like some sort of pvc or melamine viv? If there are vents, I suggest trying to seal them over and pouring some lukewarm water into the substrate, not too much, but enough to get your bottom layer nice and damp, see if that helps hold your humidity. If it doesn’t, I'm inclined to say the enclosure isn’t sealed properly. This is a younger tortoise from what I remember? So humidity does need to be higher than 50, more in the 80 range
Yeah you are correct, big vivarium. I’ll seal the vents with some duck tape or something.

Do you have any advice on the picture I sent, I’ll re send. I have no answers I’m not sure when or why it appeared but I noticed it a few days ago.

It is the white thing like a peeled scale maybe?

Attachments

• IMG_5941.png
    IMG_5941.png
    803.9 KB · Views: 0

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Yeah you are correct, big vivarium. I’ll seal the vents with some duck tape or something.

Do you have any advice on the picture I sent, I’ll re send. I have no answers I’m not sure when or why it appeared but I noticed it a few days ago.

It is the white thing like a peeled scale maybe?
Hello!
It doesn't look concerning - probably a damage from scratching. You may apply triple-antibiotic ointment like Neosporin, but it's more for your own peace of mind.

To quickly help with basking area temperature you can place a slate under the basking lamp or just a terracotta saucer turned upside down. Then you can adjust basking lamp height or get a higher wattage bulb.