Let's all have eggs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkspore

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Barbara, CA
Add me to the list of newbs with surprise eggs. I've been keeping my boys and girls segregated since everyone perked up this spring, so I was not at all prepared to find my prettiest girl digging a lovely hole last night. I now have four three-toe eggs sitting in a plastic tub of dirt atop my gecko cage. I've got an ice chest full of water, and I'll be adding a heater and a thermometer/hygrometer right after a trip to the store.

I'd like to incubate them at 89 degrees and hope for more girls if they're fertile. I've read a whole lot about ghettobaters and may replace the soil with vermiculite. My question for you is: what humidity range is best for the eggs?

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
As far as humidity, enough so that the eggs don't start to deflate and dent . But not enough to cause them to expand. I don't meter them, so I can't give you a relative humidity. I would guess at about 75 to 80 percent rh.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Go 86-88 89 might be a little warm even for female, I read 90 can kill embryos. I also use the foam ice cheat and heater works great have it set at 84 degrees. It jumps 2 degrees up or down depending on the weather.

Pameladale

5 Year Member
Did you burmate your turtles? (hibernate) mine keep mating but have not laid eggs just wondering what im doing wrong lol

pinkspore

5 Year Member
Santa Barbara, CA
I didn't let mine hibernate, but my egg-laying girl did hibernate with her previous caretaker. Do your turtles have good places to lay?

Pameladale

5 Year Member
I believe so they have lots of plants and hides. What did yours lay there eggs under?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
How deeps your substrate? Also indoor or outdoor housing? Mine didn't hibernate them, I actually adopted them last winter she's laid two clutches already

Pameladale

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Let's all have eggs!

5 inches on the warmer side about 3 on the cooler side. Indoor there enclosures about 4 feet. Oh wow thats awesome. I just dont understand why they mate like crazy but no eggs

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
You should add deeper substrate, I had 7-8 inches and she didn't lay till I made it 9-10 the nest they dig are 6-7 inches deep.

Pameladale

5 Year Member
Holy crap thats a lot ill add some more. The thing is I built them a second level in the tank im assuming with that much subtrate in there they'll be too close to the lights?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
How high are your sides? I would try ad make it at least 8 inches pack it down too so she can make a nest, keep it moist not wet, she needs a good spot to lay, mine made a best under a second heat light I put on one end, I packed down all the soil and made it 9 inches deep. She laid there twice

Pameladale

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Let's all have eggs!

my sides are only 14" I have an undertank heater and the light on the one side. Ok perfect thanks for your help. Would you mind sending me a picture of your setup id love to see it.

Should the whole tank be that deep?

Status
Not open for further replies.