Levi the leopard

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Levi is my 3 year old leopard tortoise. I've raised him since he was 4 weeks old.

I've never been into the handling/holding/kissing/petting thing..lol
I did try that for like 2 days but mostly just to have a cuddly picture to show @Elohi lol

He's never been hand fed either.

Well, I'm telling you it's like a switch went off in Levi's mind a few weeks ago. The once basic, watch things from a far off leopard is now a social attack tortoise! If you're in "his" yard, watch out! He'll chase after you, follow you and try to climb on you...even if you aren't sitting down.
He chases the water when I hose off the patio.
He pursues the dog during supervised potty breaks.
He pushes your feet out of his way, then pushes them back..lol
He's also decided that our Crocs garden shoes are enemies that need to be rammed around and shown who's boss.

I always thought he'd just be a "pretty rock", especially since I didn't handle him. But this new behavior is pretty cool. It's fun having him charge you. .... Makes the visitors laugh!

**I'm assuming sexual maturity has something to do with it?**

0616151524a.jpg

Attachments

• 0616151524a.jpg
    0616151524a.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 18

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Maturity does have something to do with it, but many tortoises tend to "come out of their shells" so to speak at around 3 years old. All species tend to be fraidy cats when they are little. There are certainly exceptions, but by three, most torts are pretty unafraid.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Maturity does have something to do with it, but many tortoises tend to "come out of their shells" so to speak at around 3 years old. All species tend to be fraidy cats when they are little. There are certainly exceptions, but by three, most torts are pretty unafraid.
I'm scared now as spud is only 6 months and he is already quite unafraid

What's he going to be like as a teen... He's already the boss of me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm scared now as spud is only 6 months and he is already quite unafraid

What's he going to be like as a teen... He's already the boss of me.

He will be trying to get in your lap or under your feet. If you stand still with your attention on some task he will quietly get right behind you and wait to trip you as soon as you move.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
He will be trying to get in your lap or under your feet. If you stand still with your attention on some task he will quietly get right behind you and wait to trip you as soon as you move.
Oh no, just like my dog lol
I think my dog is trying to kill me. He keeps putting his bone near me and I have rolled onto it and hurt my back and tripped over it.
I don't need spud doing it as well! Haha

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@wellington as a mod, do you know why my titles keep duplicating? The whole "leopard leopard" thing.. This isn't the first time it did that. And I'm pretty sure I didn't type it twice..lol

Sorry, it's taken me a bit to get this. Been busy with one of my sons grad. parties.
I don't know why that does that. I actually remember seeing another member with a duplicating title like yours is doing. I figured that just typed it that way. I will see if we can get it figured out.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I tried playing around with it on my end and I think...think.. it might happen when I preview my thread before making it. But I didn't want to make a new thread to test the theory lol

I just tagged you cuz I know ya ;) and felt like being personable :D

Audrey Anggita

Indonesia
sweet Levi!..

can u share to me, what food that u give to Levi? i have a leopard too, and he avoid to eat every veggie that i over. he decide to eat grass. it happen almost a week.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
sweet Levi!..

can u share to me, what food that u give to Levi? i have a leopard too, and he avoid to eat every veggie that i over. he decide to eat grass. it happen almost a week.

Levi lives outside and primarily eats the grass and weeds that grow in the yard. Occasionally I will toss him something else. Spring mix, green leaf lettuce, Mazuri.. But that's usually only when company is over so they can enjoy watching him eat.

Even as a baby he primarily ate grass clippings with Mazuri and natural, homegrown leafy weeds and greens. I've tried to limit grocery store greens as much as possible and fruits/veggies have never been in the menu.