Light bulb moment

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
My Hermann's tort, Elsa, hates baths, as in H.A.T.E. As soon as I start pouring the lovely warm water over her, she is clawing at the sides of the bin I use for her tub, trying to get out. She continuously tries to get out the whole time and is obviously stressed by it, so I don't bathe her often.

Light bulb moment: Today I decided to measure the temperature of the water before bathing her. I ran the water to the temp I use for her: lovely warm, NOT HOT, water. I used a kitchen thermometer and was shocked- the temps quickly ran up to the mid 90's and was still climbing when I stopped. NO WONDER she was trying to get out: it was way too hot for her!!!! I kept adjusting the water temp until it measured 84 and was astonished at how COOL that felt to me! When I poured the water over her, the difference was remarkable: she just sat and looked at me. No scrambling, no scratching up the sides of her bin etc. She sat calmly, strolled around a bit, and scratched a little on the sides, but NOTHING like before.

This is now the second time I ASSUMED my tort was just being picky but there was a darn good reason for her actions. She hated the baths I was giving her because I assumed water temperatures that were comfortable for me would also be comfortable for her. I was wrong.

I am grateful and humbled by the lessons I learn from all my animals. I betcha that I make wrong assumptions about PEOPLE too. Food for thought.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Moozillion said:
I betcha that I make wrong assumptions about PEOPLE too. Food for thought.

See, I really am not the horrible person you think I am! :D

:p :D

What a great think to have learned for your tortoise's well being. Thank you for sharing that, perhaps it will cause others to do some checking, too.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Jacqui said:
Moozillion said:
I betcha that I make wrong assumptions about PEOPLE too. Food for thought.

See, I really am not the horrible person you think I am! :D

:p :D

What a great think to have learned for your tortoise's well being. Thank you for sharing that, perhaps it will cause others to do some checking, too.

Thanks, Jacqui! :) Thanks to this forum community, I don't feel bad about posting my mistakes. We're all in this for the animals, but we learn about ourselves and each other along the way!:tort: ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Great post and thanks for the reference temp for hermanni. Funny. All of my tropical species do the relaxing thing in mid 90's water, and don't seem as comfortable in the cooler water. I soak my russian babies in 90-95 degree water and they all sit and relax in it too.

To each its own, but a good lesson for us all here. Thank you.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
I had my redfoots for two years and never took the temp of their soaking water. They have always been tolerant of the water I chose by feel. Then I got my I. Star. He would struggle and fight to get out.
One day I noticed, when I put him in his bin with maybe 3/4 inch of warm water, he very spontaneously and deliberately raised his body above the water level, walking on tip toes to keep his body from touching it. Hmmm.
From then on, I took a thermometer with probe and experimented with temps.
I found anything over 92 brought on some evasive acts. Getting up towards 94 brought on panic.
SO, I now hold the temp around 88 to 91 for both species and have calm torts for the most part.

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
Thanks for posting this. I am sure it will help many tortoises.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Thanks, everybody!

gtc: I LOOOOVE the quote in your signature!!! :D :D :D

Meow

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
I noticed the other day that my boxie doesn't like when I pour water in. He'll relax when he's soaking but as soon as I start pouring fresh water he starts freaking out until I stop then relaxes again. So now I take him out when I pour fresh water in.

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
Moozillion said:
Thanks, everybody!

gtc: I LOOOOVE the quote in your signature!!! :D :D :D

Thanks Moozillion. I love Terry Pratchett, I've read all his books :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Meow said:
I noticed the other day that my boxie doesn't like when I pour water in. He'll relax when he's soaking but as soon as I start pouring fresh water he starts freaking out until I stop then relaxes again. So now I take him out when I pour fresh water in.

That's good to know. I'll see if this makes a difference for my tort, too. Thanks!:)

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I keep a notebook of what temps each one prefers. Plus some like deep, some lie, shallow, some like a rock to stand on, some like a cloth on the bottom. Picky little beasties, eh? [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

It's a good thing I have lots of spare time to dote on these spoiled rotten kidlets.

Tom said:
Great post and thanks for the reference temp for hermanni. Funny. All of my tropical species do the relaxing thing in mid 90's water, and don't seem as comfortable in the cooler water. I soak my russian babies in 90-95 degree water and they all sit and relax in it too.

To each its own, but a good lesson for us all here. Thank you.

And Tom, the larger hatchling LOVES warm water ran straight from the faucet, but mine...the smaller one...throws MAJOR Sulcata temper tantrum. It never ceases to amaze me how individual they all are. There is no right, wrong, yes, no....it's all try, learn, document, really "listen" to our animals. This is what makes it fun, this is what makes it so rewarding.