Grieving

ShirleyTX

Location (City and/or State)
Canyon Lake TX USA
I don't know if I have the right words.....

You were doing something so good for Vasili. You saw how she liked her new outdoor enclosure. You tried your best to make the pen absolutely secure. This was not your fault.

I am afraid that those last moments with Vasili are running on a loop in your head. I am fearful that those images are not yet fading. But they must. In the long term, Vasili cannot be remembered for those last few moments. She must be remembered for her personality and her cutest moments. Was she adorable when she ate? Did she make you smile when she toddled up to you? Of course! I hope you have many happy photos of her to remember her by. I hope the last few moments of her life do not crowd out the good memories you have.

I've heard so many experts say that tortoises are not real pets, they don't have emotions. I disagree. They are living creatures and I firmly believe they sense energy and emotion like other animals do. So, your darling Vasili would have been comforted that you held her and spoke to her in those last moments. She would have felt that love, I'm sure of it. It was brave and loving that you held her.

Now I've made myself cry! We are all crying in our hearts for you.....

PS This was not your fault.

Kaeloni

Montana
Thank you for your kind words. You are right, Vasili’s death keeps playing in my head. Seeing her like that was traumatizing. She was such an amazing tortoise. I have so many good memories of her. Every time I walked up to her enclosure she would come over to me to be hand fed and she would always let me pet the back of her head and neck. She was so outgoing and fearless. My favorite thing about Vasili was the way she used to lay her head on everything. We buried her in her favorite spot in my back yard. Everyday I would take her outside and sit in the grass with her and she always ventured to the same spot. She would lay under the water faucet and rest her head on the garden hose. I ordered a tortoise statue to put where I buried her. I will add pics when it arrives.

kaycov

5 Year Member
Lexington
Wow! So, so very sorry. I hope you can mend the fence and are able to feel safe in your own yard. If that dog got in and did what it did, I would be afraid to even be outside with my baby. I sure hope AC can find and catch the dog. Again, my sympathies.

eOrchid

Ohio
I can’t say that I understand how you feel because I (thankfully) have not experienced this type of tragedy, but I do understand loving tortoises (and other animals) as if they are your own children. Reading your post brought tears to my eyes. I don’t know what your personal beliefs are, but from what I understand and believe about God and animals, I believe your sweet Vasili is in Heaven. So, maybe this is not goodbye forever, but just “see you later”. She was lucky to be loved that much while she was here. So many never experience that. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Brandi

5 Year Member
Oh Kaeloni my heart breaks and aches for you and your precious Vasili. Your heart was in the right place and you did nothing wrong, in fact you did everything right with Vasili’s best interest in mind. I pray your thoughts are centered around enjoying all the good times with her.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
So so sorry. Its painful to imagine what you're going through and I'm sorry your family doesn't understand that. Looks like not a dry eye here on tortoiseforum. I shed a few. I hope you can find some peace soon and put the images and the pain behind you. I agree with everyone else... it's not your fault. You did everything right.

N

no one

Don't know what to say... very sorry for your loss and that you had to witness that. Can't imagine, such a horrible, horrible way to loose your Tortoise. My heart goes out to you...