Lighting advice

Amatsu

Location (City and/or State)
Houston, Texas
Hello ! I recently got two box tortoises and was wondering what choice of lighting is proper for them . Can I use these uvb lightings (tropical) as a light source ? Or what are your options?

527ABCDD-BA67-45A1-A86C-8C33FA5B12E6.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, but if you can get them outside at least a few times a week, seeing your in Texas, you don't need any indoor uvb.

Amatsu

Houston, Texas
The problem is that I live in an apartment. Though we get plenty of sunlight in the morning at the living room ,I just want to make sure they have enough lighting to grow healthy and strong. Thanks for the advice , I appreciate your help !

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello ! I recently got two box tortoises and was wondering what choice of lighting is proper for them . Can I use these uvb lightings (tropical) as a light source ? Or what are your options?
Can we see a picture of your new tortoises to verify the species and make sure you get the correct care advice?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I always go with what the manufacturers call "desert" bulbs. Some will lable them as 5.0 and 10.0 - the "desert" is the 10.0. For chelonians, the output of a 5.0 or "forest" bulb is so low it is very difficult to get a good UVB reading unless the bulb is mounted quite low. The greater UVB percentage of the 10,0 "desert" bulbs allow for a higher mounting height and therefore a larger/wider area of UVB coverage.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your new animals are box turtles, not tortoises. They like a forest-type setting, so lots of plants in the enclosure would be the way to go. For indoor, younger box turtles, I keep the enclosure 80F degrees all over the whole enclosure. A couple hiding places and lots of plants (either real or fake). They also like to sit in the water, so a big waterer and moist substrate are a must. If it were me, I would get rid of that bark substrate and get some potting soil for substrate. Try to find potting soil that doesn't have the white balls in it. Even dirt from outside would be ok, just make sure it's not contaminated with herbicides or pesticides. I use a fluorescent tube for UVB and a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) for heat.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The "light coming into your living room" will probably be of little to no help. Remember that UVB doesn't go through window glass or even through most window screens.

Amatsu

Houston, Texas
Yeah , which is why I’m trying to find an alternate solution . Thank you for your advice , I appreciate it very much !