Lighting advice

PollyAda

Location (City and/or State)
West Midlands, England
Item 1 I would swap to: https://internetreptile.com/products/arcadia-solar-basking-floodlight?variant=42476403458296.

Item two is fine for supplementary heat. Lower wattage will probably be fine, but you will need to use a thermostat with it (pulse thermostat is recommended for CHEs I believe) as they get very hot. Make sure you have ceramic fixtures for the CHE and basking bulb.

Item 3 for UVB is good - make sure you get 12% for a Russian tortoise, and the correct length for your enclosure. Bear in mind that tortoises like to be able to move away from uvb/heat sources when they wish (temperature gradient).

Bulbabye.

United kingdom
Item 1 I would swap to: https://internetreptile.com/products/arcadia-solar-basking-floodlight?variant=42476403458296.

Item two is fine for supplementary heat. Lower wattage will probably be fine, but you will need to use a thermostat with it (pulse thermostat is recommended for CHEs I believe) as they get very hot. Make sure you have ceramic fixtures for the CHE and basking bulb.

Item 3 for UVB is good - make sure you get 12% for a Russian tortoise, and the correct length for your enclosure. Bear in mind that tortoises like to be able to move away from uvb/heat sources when they wish (temperature gradient).
Thank you so much for the reply,
I will definitely replace item one with what you have suggested,

What watt would you suggest I use for the CHE and basking )item 1)

And my enclosure is about 5ft and a half what size would be best for the UVB?

Would all these be enough for a full lighting setup ? Am I missing anything else?

Thank you so much
-Faye

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you so much for the reply,
I will definitely replace item one with what you have suggested,

What watt would you suggest I use for the CHE and basking )item 1)

And my enclosure is about 5ft and a half what size would be best for the UVB?

Would all these be enough for a full lighting setup ? Am I missing anything else?

Thank you so much
-Faye
Great advice from PollyAda!

The wattage on your CHE doesn't matter much because it will be turned on and off automatically by the thermostat. I am inclined to go with a higher wattage as this will keep the enclosure warmer easier during cold times, and the thermostat will prevent overheating at other times.

Only your thermometer can tell you what wattage you need for your basking flood lamp. Usually a 75 is a good starting point, but in a five foot long open table you might need more. You'll have to try one and check the temps you get.

The length of the UV tube doesn't matter. A short one will work and so will a long one. Just mount it close to the heat lamp. Their skin needs to be warm for the UV to work. The UV tube should only run for a few hours mid day. It should not be on 12 or more hours a day with the rest of the lighting.

You are missing ambient lighting. LED screw-in type bulbs or strips work great for this purpose. These are what make the enclosure look like it is daytime while indoors. The basking lamp and the UV tube are both relatively dim in comparison. Make it very bright during the day for a Russian tortoise. Get bulbs in the 5000-6500K color range. This info will be on the package. Most bulbs are in the 2000-2500K range and they look yellowish.

Check out this thread. There is a heating and lighting breakdown near the bottom as well as a temperate species care sheet for your Russian:

Bulbabye.

United kingdom
Great advice from PollyAda!

The wattage on your CHE doesn't matter much because it will be turned on and off automatically by the thermostat. I am inclined to go with a higher wattage as this will keep the enclosure warmer easier during cold times, and the thermostat will prevent overheating at other times.

Only your thermometer can tell you what wattage you need for your basking flood lamp. Usually a 75 is a good starting point, but in a five foot long open table you might need more. You'll have to try one and check the temps you get.

The length of the UV tube doesn't matter. A short one will work and so will a long one. Just mount it close to the heat lamp. Their skin needs to be warm for the UV to work. The UV tube should only run for a few hours mid day. It should not be on 12 or more hours a day with the rest of the lighting.

You are missing ambient lighting. LED screw-in type bulbs or strips work great for this purpose. These are what make the enclosure look like it is daytime while indoors. The basking lamp and the UV tube are both relatively dim in comparison. Make it very bright during the day for a Russian tortoise. Get bulbs in the 5000-6500K color range. This info will be on the package. Most bulbs are in the 2000-2500K range and they look yellowish.

Check out this thread. There is a heating and lighting breakdown near the bottom as well as a temperate species care sheet for your Russian:
Thank you Tom!

What led Strips do you recommend?