Lighting Concern

KaTheya

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I currently have a russian tortoise that I got from petsmart about a week ago. So far most of what they've told me to do is incorrect when comparing to the care sheet on this forum. I have the bulbs they recommended:
20160229_093901.jpg I use the infrared spot bulb at night and it leaves the temp at 80F all night. I use the other one for the day, but as I recently found out from this forum, I'm suppose to have about 95F in his enclosure(basking spot), but this bulb only provides about 85F max. if I use both in the day I can get it around 100F. I just need advice on if I should continue using these bulbs, or possibly suggestions on getting another uva light also. (now that I noticed it says that's a uva light, do I need to get a uvb light also then?) I was considering getting a uvb flourescent strip as it seems that a good amount of people use those on this forum. Also these bulbs are in a dual lamp fixture(deep dome), thoughts on that as well?
Additional information: It's just starting to get around 40s outside so at the moment I am keeping him indoors, so I want to make sure he has the right lighting to keep him healthy.

Tort1419

I would use zoomed a powersun 100watt as it provides uva and UVB hanging straight down. But this might not be enough for heat, to depending on your set up. I don't think you need the night temp to be that high, mine is 72 and its just fine for him. It can go even below that as long as he can warm up again during the following day. I would be able do advise you more if you posted some pictures of the enclosure

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your tortoise needs UVB, not UVA.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Uvb definitely, as yvonne said. Is your tortoise a 4"? The temps are different with hatchlings . I dont think you need the night heat either. Mines are usually 75 and even 66 at night if i leave the window open in my room. They all seem fine .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you are able too get him outside a lot in the summer months, you don't need to worry about getting a UVB bulb now. As for the dual fixture, it's best not to use them and for this reason. If you need to lower a bulb for correct temps, you now have to lower 2. Also, usually one bulb over an area is all that's needed. Now you can't seperate them. As for the basking spot, can you lower that bulb to raise the temp?

KaTheya

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Thank you for all the replies. I have fixed my errors and got a solor glo bulb with a light fixture from home depot. My basking spot is at 95ish middle 82ish and cool side 74ish