Lighting help

Alex Z

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NYC
Hello tort lovers, I will be starting soon a 3 level tort condo. For my rt, and 4 redfoots. My previous one I made was 6ft tall. I was considering shortening the distance this time. What is the approximate needed for light absorption? The rt will live on the bottom this time.the new build will be 8x4. 3 of the redfoots are still very small.

MillerJ

MN
Hello tort lovers, I will be starting soon a 3 level tort condo. For my rt, and 4 redfoots. My previous one I made was 6ft tall. I was considering shortening the distance this time. What is the approximate needed for light absorption? The rt will live on the bottom this time.the new build will be 8x4. 3 of the redfoots are still very small.
Probably going to need more information for a good answer. The quick and dirty response is 12inchs is a good starting point but this is going to depend on a lot of factors. What kind of light, what wattage of light, do the Torts ever get outdoor time, how tall are they at this point, how long do you intend for them to live in this setup or are you going to have to leave room to adjust for full-size torts. I know it's not a great answer but best I can do at 4 am and hopefully it get you started.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Probably gonna need to invest in a UV meter to ensure the best results give your size and setups

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
No outdoor time. Love in NYC and each enclosure has 2ft of space between each. Wifey can't see the rt, it's why I'm thinking of lowering if possible. But if it hurts the torts, then I will keep it 18in above them.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
We also have heat lamps as well, just afraid one of them will get burned just sitting under it seeking warmth. It's why I built it with the space between them of 2ft.