Lighting suggestions

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
14 inch? Is that height? 14 inch is a bit too small whether length, height or width.
A baby should be in a 2x4 feet at least if a new hatchling closed chamber enclosure.
Straight tube fluorescent for uvb
Incandescent FLOOD bulb for basking and a day temp range that goes from 75-80 and night temps can be 65-70

NationMostWanted

CA
14 inch? Is that height? 14 inch is a bit too small whether length, height or width.
A baby should be in a 2x4 feet at least if a new hatchling closed chamber enclosure.
Straight tube fluorescent for uvb
Incandescent FLOOD bulb for basking and a day temp range that goes from 75-80 and night temps can be 65-70
Oh sorry enclosure is like around 36Lx22.5Dx13.5 height. Wasn't sure if I should use a T8 or T5 fluorescent tube for it

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh sorry enclosure is like around 36Lx22.5Dx13.5 height. Wasn't sure if I should use a T8 or T5 fluorescent tube for it
That is too low for a T5 but T8 bulbs make very little UV. This enclosure is really too small. The best solution would be to get a taller, larger enclosure so you can use a T5 HO bulb for UV.

Where in CA are you? If you can get the tortoise outside in a safe enclosure a couple few times per week for an hour or so, you won't need indoor UV at all. Your tortoise will outgrow this little enclosure in a few months, and you could get the T5HO tube when its time to get a larger enclosure.

Here is more helpful info:

NationMostWanted

CA
That is too low for a T5 but T8 bulbs make very little UV. This enclosure is really too small. The best solution would be to get a taller, larger enclosure so you can use a T5 HO bulb for UV.

Where in CA are you? If you can get the tortoise outside in a safe enclosure a couple few times per week for an hour or so, you won't need indoor UV at all. Your tortoise will outgrow this little enclosure in a few months, and you could get the T5HO tube when its time to get a larger enclosure.

Here is more helpful info:

I'm in central California with plenty of heat. I read few posts here of you mentioning I don't need a light if i give him time outside. The one I have currently is the reptisun T5 HO 24inch which included a "free" 5.0 bulb. I was researching and saw some groups were giving positive feedback on the reptisun T5 fixture with the 10.0 bulb but I wasn't sure if it was worth using something else if height is an issue currently I haven't sorted out yet, but some places I read using the 5.0 I'll be OK at about 9 or 10 inches.

I love to not have to run one and only run my basking light.

Last edited:

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and welcome! As the others have pointed out, the enclosure in question does sound too small, perhaps you’ll find this link below useful, it covers set up, care, maintaining humidity etc, hope it helps🙂