Lighting suggestions

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
14 inch? Is that height? 14 inch is a bit too small whether length, height or width.
A baby should be in a 2x4 feet at least if a new hatchling closed chamber enclosure.
Straight tube fluorescent for uvb
Incandescent FLOOD bulb for basking and a day temp range that goes from 75-80 and night temps can be 65-70

NationMostWanted

CA
14 inch? Is that height? 14 inch is a bit too small whether length, height or width.
A baby should be in a 2x4 feet at least if a new hatchling closed chamber enclosure.
Straight tube fluorescent for uvb
Incandescent FLOOD bulb for basking and a day temp range that goes from 75-80 and night temps can be 65-70
Oh sorry enclosure is like around 36Lx22.5Dx13.5 height. Wasn't sure if I should use a T8 or T5 fluorescent tube for it

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh sorry enclosure is like around 36Lx22.5Dx13.5 height. Wasn't sure if I should use a T8 or T5 fluorescent tube for it
That is too low for a T5 but T8 bulbs make very little UV. This enclosure is really too small. The best solution would be to get a taller, larger enclosure so you can use a T5 HO bulb for UV.

Where in CA are you? If you can get the tortoise outside in a safe enclosure a couple few times per week for an hour or so, you won't need indoor UV at all. Your tortoise will outgrow this little enclosure in a few months, and you could get the T5HO tube when its time to get a larger enclosure.

Here is more helpful info:

NationMostWanted

CA
That is too low for a T5 but T8 bulbs make very little UV. This enclosure is really too small. The best solution would be to get a taller, larger enclosure so you can use a T5 HO bulb for UV.

Where in CA are you? If you can get the tortoise outside in a safe enclosure a couple few times per week for an hour or so, you won't need indoor UV at all. Your tortoise will outgrow this little enclosure in a few months, and you could get the T5HO tube when its time to get a larger enclosure.

Here is more helpful info:

I'm in central California with plenty of heat. I read few posts here of you mentioning I don't need a light if i give him time outside. The one I have currently is the reptisun T5 HO 24inch which included a "free" 5.0 bulb. I was researching and saw some groups were giving positive feedback on the reptisun T5 fixture with the 10.0 bulb but I wasn't sure if it was worth using something else if height is an issue currently I haven't sorted out yet, but some places I read using the 5.0 I'll be OK at about 9 or 10 inches.

I love to not have to run one and only run my basking light.

Last edited:

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and welcome! As the others have pointed out, the enclosure in question does sound too small, perhaps you’ll find this link below useful, it covers set up, care, maintaining humidity etc, hope it helps🙂

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm in central California with plenty of heat. I read few posts here of you mentioning I don't need a light if i give him time outside. The one I have currently is the reptisun T5 HO 24inch which included a "free" 5.0 bulb. I was researching and saw some groups were giving positive feedback on the reptisun T5 fixture with the 10.0 bulb but I wasn't sure if it was worth using something else if height is an issue currently I haven't sorted out yet, but some places I read using the 5.0 I'll be OK at about 9 or 10 inches.

I love to not have to run one and only run my basking light.
A 5.0 HO should work at your distance, but I would want to run a meter under it to check it. Solarmeter 6.5.

Here is a breakdown of the four heating and lighting essentials:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt incandescent floods from the hardware store. Some people will need bigger, or smaller wattage bulbs. Let your thermometer be your guide. I run them on a timer for about 12 hours and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb. You need to check the temp with a thermometer directly under the bulb and get it to around 95-100F (36-37C).
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. In most cases you'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT, as long as your house stays above 60F (15-16C) at night. Some people in colder climates or with larger enclosures will need multiple CHEs or RHPs to spread out enough heat.
  3. Ambient light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish. Strip or screw-in LED bulb types are both fine.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. In colder climates, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. I like the 12% HO bulbs from Arcadia. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html A good UV bulb only needs to run for 2-3 hours mid day. You need the basking bulb and the ambient lighting to be on at least 12 hours a day.

NationMostWanted

CA
A 5.0 HO should work at your distance, but I would want to run a meter under it to check it. Solarmeter 6.5.

Here is a breakdown of the four heating and lighting essentials:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt incandescent floods from the hardware store. Some people will need bigger, or smaller wattage bulbs. Let your thermometer be your guide. I run them on a timer for about 12 hours and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb. You need to check the temp with a thermometer directly under the bulb and get it to around 95-100F (36-37C).
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. In most cases you'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT, as long as your house stays above 60F (15-16C) at night. Some people in colder climates or with larger enclosures will need multiple CHEs or RHPs to spread out enough heat.
  3. Ambient light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish. Strip or screw-in LED bulb types are both fine.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. In colder climates, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. I like the 12% HO bulbs from Arcadia. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html A good UV bulb only needs to run for 2-3 hours mid day. You need the basking bulb and the ambient lighting to be on at least 12 hours a day.

1. I grabbed some 90 watt flood light bulb and a dome fixture

2. My temp in the house I don't think ever goes under 78-80 range in summer or winter.

3. I didn't know there was something called ambient light I needed. Is that usually included off the basking bulb?

4. So there's no reason to even leave the lights on for 12 hours if I do some outside time?

Your guide is super informative 👌. I was from a fb group and alot of the info just was different compared to stuff I found here in a good way.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
1. I grabbed some 90 watt flood light bulb and a dome fixture

2. My temp in the house I don't think ever goes under 78-80 range in summer or winter.

3. I didn't know there was something called ambient light I needed. Is that usually included off the basking bulb?

4. So there's no reason to even leave the lights on for 12 hours if I do some outside time?

Your guide is super informative 👌. I was from a fb group and alot of the info just was different compared to stuff I found here in a good way.
1. 90 watts might be too much in such a small enclosure. Your thermometer will tell you. You can run it on a rheostat (aka:dimmer switch) to reduce the wattage and temperature.
2. You keep your house 80 degrees in winter? Russians do well with a night time cool down. 70 ish is good for babies, Adults can handle it much lower.
3. The basking bulbs are nowhere near bright enough, and they are too low on the color spectrum. It should be bright and "sunny" in the enclosure during the day. This is best and most efficiently accomplished with LEDs.
4. There is no reason to leave the UV tube on for 12 hours a day. The rest of the lighting does need to be on for at least 12 hours a day, unless you are going longer for summer, or shorter to prepare for brumation going in to winter. You can turn all the lights off when the tortoise is outside sunning in its outdoor enclosure.

FB has proven to be a terrible source of info. I'm always glad when people find their way here, but it can be a bit of a jolt for some people. All your questions are welcome.

NationMostWanted

CA
1. 90 watts might be too much in such a small enclosure. Your thermometer will tell you. You can run it on a rheostat (aka:dimmer switch) to reduce the wattage and temperature.
2. You keep your house 80 degrees in winter? Russians do well with a night time cool down. 70 ish is good for babies, Adults can handle it much lower.
3. The basking bulbs are nowhere near bright enough, and they are too low on the color spectrum. It should be bright and "sunny" in the enclosure during the day. This is best and most efficiently accomplished with LEDs.
4. There is no reason to leave the UV tube on for 12 hours a day. The rest of the lighting does need to be on for at least 12 hours a day, unless you are going longer for summer, or shorter to prepare for brumation going in to winter. You can turn all the lights off when the tortoise is outside sunning in its outdoor enclosure.

FB has proven to be a terrible source of info. I'm always glad when people find their way here, but it can be a bit of a jolt for some people. All your questions are welcome.
Bulb I'm using it an zoo med reptituff 90 watt
So do I test the heat temp with heat gun where the light hits or directly off where lights out? Fb people some saying off the light, on the ground or off the shell. So I wasn't sure. I think my enclosure thing has a hanger for a single dome light so I can prob adjust it higher to get less heat if needed.

Winter with no heater house can reach 60s? But with heater we stay around low 80s high 70s. Summer we set ac at 78.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Bulb I'm using it an zoo med reptituff 90 watt
So do I test the heat temp with heat gun where the light hits or directly off where lights out? Fb people some saying off the light, on the ground or off the shell. So I wasn't sure. I think my enclosure thing has a hanger for a single dome light so I can prob adjust it higher to get less heat if needed.

Winter with no heater house can reach 60s? But with heater we stay around low 80s high 70s. Summer we set ac at 78.
Test your basking temperature by laying a digital thermometer on its back directly under the lamp and let it cook there for an hour or more. Adjust the height or the wattage to get the correct temp. With such a high wattage bulb in such a small enclosure, you will also need to watch ambient temperature in the rest of the enclosure and make sure the whole thing isn't heating up too much.

NationMostWanted

CA
Test your basking temperature by laying a digital thermometer on its back directly under the lamp and let it cook there for an hour or more. Adjust the height or the wattage to get the correct temp. With such a high wattage bulb in such a small enclosure, you will also need to watch ambient temperature in the rest of the enclosure and make sure the whole thing isn't heating up too much.
I could always switch it to a lower one. Is there a temp that's considered danger in the rest of enclosure If there ever is a situation of heating up too much