Little Redfoot came in early!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
So I was expecting my little one on Friday but s/he came a few days early. Luckily I had all my supplies ready. The only thing I didn't get yet was a vivarium but I'm on my way to get that to convert tonight. For a few days though the tort will be living in a 40 gallon tote. Here's how I set it up. Suggestions and comments are welcome. This is my first Redfoot, and I couldn't be more excited.

Also name suggestions wouldn't hurt. My darling husband has his heart set on ridiculous names.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1374687338.151965.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1374687352.236027.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1374687363.452394.jpg

Substrate is a coco coir, sphagnum moss, reptibark mixture. Humidity is at 85-89%, basking 90, hides 87, cool end 83, ambient 85. Sound right?

Last edited by a moderator:

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I'm blown away with your enclosure. Simple, yet luxurious. Lots of nooks and crannies, walking space, plants; that tort's spoiled rotten already! The temps and humidity levels are spot on as well as the light intensity (or lack thereof). Great job!

Btw, I totally know what you mean about the husband choosing ridiculous names.. it's horrible the things we have to deal with sometimes, huh? Lol.. :D

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Seattle
The temporary home looks great! We named our tort after a basketball player (Gary Payton)... Not my idea LOL

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Yay! Congrats on your little one...she/he is an absolute beauty. And I agree with everyone else, your tote enclosure is perfect for a temp. set up. I love it!

I keep my redfoots in an outdoor enclosure, but had to separate my hatchlings from my yearlings. I decided to put them in a tote until they're thriving well enough to join the others. I'm definitely going to use your tote set up as an inspiration!

Oh, and good luck with names....I have 3 children to pick the ridiculous names (hubby didn't care). I've grown to love all their names.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Nice setup I would not change a thing for a month or so . People use them totes all the time if you think its to small get you a xmas tree tote .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
Woo hoo! Not bad for my first try. [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH] I'll be using this enclosure for a week or so until I finish my 55 gallon closed chamber. It took about a week for the one I built for my sulcata hatchlings so I'm happy this one will suffice for the time being.

And I think we decided on Dandelion for a name, Dandy for short. Much better than the names husband was picking. (His options were Five finger death punch? Darth Maul? Really?! Silly man...)

Thanks for the input guys. It's appreciated.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
alysciaingram said:
And I think we decided on Dandelion for a name, Dandy for short. Much better than the names husband was picking. (His options were Five finger death punch? Darth Maul? Really?! Silly man...)

Yeah.. my husband named one of the reds Punch-it. I like your choice waaay better :D

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
So cute! And gorgeous setup for something temporary! I'm impressed!!

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM] & Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] (Darwin & Wallace)
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
More baby pictures for you guys :D
ImageUploadedByTortForum1374884011.631040.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1374884026.130399.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1374884043.780849.jpg

Dandy is doing great, and adjusting slowly but surely.

Last edited by a moderator:

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I love your setup. Just wondering, is there enough room to roam? Everything else is great. Dandy is a little cutie...

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
There's not much room, no, but by this time next week he'll be in a much bigger tank to roam as he pleases (48in x 21in). :) I figured more coverage and hide spots was better for the little one while he became accustomed and unwound a bit.
And thanks, I think he's quite dashing as well.

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
For a name, if you want your tort to be a girl, use a boy name. For a boy go with a girl name. Seems to work every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.