Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Beautiful table..
A hide can be a cardboard box, or one you buy at a pet store.
Sulcatas grow fast and 5-6 years may be to long to wait to move him outside. 2-3 years is more like it. At least if you plan to keep it in the table enclosure. The glass front may be a concern as well.
As for outside.. how deep is your pond and will tortoise have access or any chance of getting near it? If yes, it may drown.
I would provide an area in the table free of sand to be able to feed them in thier home. Mine like to graze thru-out the day, not just when I want them to eat. clear an area of sand and maybe get a piece of slate to put down.

Tortobox

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks All, I appreciate all input and suggestion :)

I've provided a hiding place...I think the tort likes it :D
Does a coco peat substrate/media save for sulcata? I've found this at the local plant store (photo attached)..it seems a little moisture out of the bag, should I dry it before use? if it safe and good for sulcata, where in the table is best to put it...the warm side or the cold side? please advise. Thanks

Attachments

• desert8.jpg
    desert8.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 37
  • coco_peat.jpg
    coco_peat.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 35
  • desert9.jpg
    desert9.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 47

Tortobox

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Laura said:
Beautiful table..
A hide can be a cardboard box, or one you buy at a pet store.
Sulcatas grow fast and 5-6 years may be to long to wait to move him outside. 2-3 years is more like it. At least if you plan to keep it in the table enclosure. The glass front may be a concern as well.
As for outside.. how deep is your pond and will tortoise have access or any chance of getting near it? If yes, it may drown.
I would provide an area in the table free of sand to be able to feed them in thier home. Mine like to graze thru-out the day, not just when I want them to eat. clear an area of sand and maybe get a piece of slate to put down.

Thanks Laura, wow 2-3years so fast!!! I was planning to add another sulcata in the table sometime next week.
Anyway, I keep arowana fish, so the pond must be covered otherwise they'll jump out and the pond sides is raised 1 meter from the ground so that I can put glass window on one side for better side viewing (photo attached)
Sorry this is out of topic, but I was thinking about making similar setup for my tortoise next to it. All cement just like the pond...but with shorter sidewall :rolleyes:

Attachments

• kolam6_edu.jpg
    kolam6_edu.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 57

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tortobox said:
Thanks Laura, wow 2-3years so fast!!! I was planning to add another sulcata in the table sometime next week.
Anyway, I keep arowana fish, so the pond must be covered otherwise they'll jump out and the pond sides is raised 1 meter from the ground so that I can put glass window on one side for better side viewing (photo attached)
Sorry this is out of topic, but I was thinking about making similar setup for my tortoise next to it. All cement just like the pond...but with shorter sidewall :rolleyes:

Wow, love the sides of the fish pond, not to mention the patio flooring! Can I have one of those please? :D

The major problem I would see, is the vast amount of size your sulcata's pen will need to be. Would be workable for them at their current size and for a few years, but not much further in the future. Would be great for them to be spending some time outside in the wonderful sunshine (with lots of shaded spots, too).

How long did it take to complete your fish pond?

P.S. Almost forgot to say, I really loved the picture you took of the little one going into his hide. Super cute. :D

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Size: i think i read somewhere that 40x40 is a good size for sulcata pen. I have 4. the big pen is 100x60 and the two big guys are out there. 7 year old at 25 pounds and a 10 year old at 50 pounds. They cruise the entire area. I was going to take pictures of the Poop , size and amount in just 2 days... you would swear the Horse got loose! HA!
For a hide.. a flower pot, turned on its side and partially buried, or cut in half and on its side works great!
Looking good. LOVE the pond thing.. how cool it that!

Tortobox

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Wow, love the sides of the fish pond, not to mention the patio flooring! Can I have one of those please? :D

The major problem I would see, is the vast amount of size your sulcata's pen will need to be. Would be workable for them at their current size and for a few years, but not much further in the future. Would be great for them to be spending some time outside in the wonderful sunshine (with lots of shaded spots, too).

How long did it take to complete your fish pond?

P.S. Almost forgot to say, I really loved the picture you took of the little one going into his hide. Super cute. :D

You want me to send the rock plate for you..:D I think will be too heavy to ship
Took about 1month to build the pond

Tortobox

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Laura said:
Size: i think i read somewhere that 40x40 is a good size for sulcata pen. I have 4. the big pen is 100x60 and the two big guys are out there. 7 year old at 25 pounds and a 10 year old at 50 pounds. They cruise the entire area. I was going to take pictures of the Poop , size and amount in just 2 days... you would swear the Horse got loose! HA!
For a hide.. a flower pot, turned on its side and partially buried, or cut in half and on its side works great!
Looking good. LOVE the pond thing.. how cool it that!

I would love to see them Laura...:)

Tortobox

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Just added some part of coco-peat substrate...I hope the tort will feel more comfortable :)

Attachments

• desert10.jpg
    desert10.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 33

Tortobox

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I've decided to replace all sand with coco-peat to avoid the risk of sand...I like it better now and looks like the torts love it...well I guess the desert has turned into a forest :D

lc3.jpg

lc2.jpg

lc1.jpg

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
It is really beautiful. Is there any way you could bury the water dish a little so they could get in easier. I am only saying this because I had the same water dish, and my Cherry head hatchling tried to get in and fell over. Now I got another one and buried it so it is level with the substrate. It looks great though

005-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.