Tortoise Table Questions

Toastyknickers

Location (City and/or State)
Dayton, OH
This will be my first post outside of the welcome forums so please bear with me.

I am looking to start the project of a tortoise table and have just a few questions I wanted to ask. I am starting to plan something very similar to the corner tortoise table seen in this thread. I have access to a expansive wood-shop and the knowledge of how to build such a table.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-59571.html#axzz2D4E9eVUU

I am hoping to put a Hermann's or Russian tortoise in this enclosure during the colder months or on days that I am unable to have the tortoise outside.

The few questions that I have are as follows
Does this seem like a good enclosure plan to use?
What kind of woods are safe to make this enclosure out of?
I have a rough size of this sort of table to be 5 feet out from the corner on each wall. Does this seem like an appropriate size for a Hermanns or Russian? (This is not definite because I have not measured and could be bigger depending on needs and actual size of its location)
Final question would be if anybody had an idea on how to keep humidity and temperature more even inside the enclosure.

Please I am accepting all ideas, comments, and questions on this project.

Thanks so much
Toasty

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Wow, I have not seen that enclosure before. It is really cool. I wish I was that creative and have the skill to do something like that. Anyway, I will try to answer some of your questions. yes, I think that would be a good idea. You should not use aromatic wood such as Cedar or pine. I think it would be big enough for a Herman's or Russian tortoise, I am going to assume adult. Especially if you build the little second-story walkabout type thing. you could keep some more humidity in by making the sides hire with plexiglass etc. you could put some sort of plexiglass lid type over the top of it if you wanted. You don't need a close to chamber unless you have a baby tortoise, but even a partially closed chamber does make heating it and keeping the humidity levels decent much easier.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Your enclosure will require a temperature gradient, a cooler side and a warmer side and also a basking area. So the temperature and humidity do not have to be the same throughout the enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would suggest you make something with that foot print, but a closed chamber. If your enclosure is open to the room, then the room air is going to invade your enclosure. If the air in the room is the temperature and humidity that you want for your tortoise (It probably isn't...) then an open top is great. If you want warmer or more humid air in there, then you need to close it off from the room air.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Because you are keeping the humidity up your wood will rot. 2 ways of battling this are line it all with some sort of plastic sheet like pond liner, or like a friend of mine use yacht varnish to seal it all.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
That is a great enclosure. I agree with the mostly enclosed. Hope we get to see pics when you get it done.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Because you are keeping the humidity up your wood will rot. 2 ways of battling this are line it all with some sort of plastic sheet like pond liner, or like a friend of mine use yacht varnish to seal it all.

I don't seal my closed chambers and the wood has not rotted at all with 80-100% humidity for many years. I just put a layer of thick plastic down on the bottom and part way up the sides to protect the wood from damp substrate.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I don't seal my closed chambers and the wood has not rotted at all with 80-100% humidity for mayears. I just put a layer of thick plastic down on the bottom and part way up the sides to protect the wood from damp substrate.
I also use the plastic liner method, In my viv that I have my juveniles in, the back is plywood, this is starting to blister due to the high humidity.
Think i'm going to need to change that for wood before mould sets in. Am I right saying that mould is very bad for tortoises.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Am I right saying that mould is very bad for tortoises.

Yes. I would think so. Its just interesting that I have not also had that problem. Do you spray the wood directly when misting the enclosure? Maybe plywood is made differently over there?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Yes. I would think so. Its just interesting that I have not also had that problem. Do you spray the wood directly when misting the enclosure? Maybe plywood is made differently over there?
Yes I must admit when we spray it goes all over the enclosure sides at times. Only the back is plywood, the rest is a laminated wood. I found it amazing that a commercial bought enclosure was designed with a weakness in high humidity. Just to confirm we are thinking of the same material. Ply wood over here is compacted sawdust sandwiched between 2 thin layers of wood about 1/4" thick overall.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I got this viv free with 2 redfoot torts. Are you ready for this Tom, its 2x4ft and there was a 9" and 10.5" redfoot living in it. It was off the floor so they didn't come and go as they pleased and Bone dry. Imprisoned is the apt word.

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
I got this viv free with 2 redfoot torts. Are you ready for this Tom, its 2x4ft and there was a 9" and 10.5" redfoot living in it. It was off the floor so they didn't come and go as they pleased and Bone dry. Imprisoned is the apt word.
Aw! Poor little things!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Man that is not cool. Lots of people do that sort of thing over here too.

I'm just glad for the ones that find this forum and get exposed to a better way.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes I must admit when we spray it goes all over the enclosure sides at times. Only the back is plywood, the rest is a laminated wood. I found it amazing that a commercial bought enclosure was designed with a weakness in high humidity. Just to confirm we are thinking of the same material. Ply wood over here is compacted sawdust sandwiched between 2 thin layers of wood about 1/4" thick overall.

We have varying levels of thickness from 1/4" to 1 1/4" but its made of thin layers of wood and glue all the way through. More layers for thicker plywood.

We also have particle board which is compressed sawdust and a bonding agent. There is another one called OSB which is basically larger chips of wood mixed with a binding agent and pressed into sheets. Can't get either of these two wet.

Toastyknickers

Dayton, OH
Thanks so much everybody for your comments. I am currently changing a few things in my plans to accommodate a top as well doors to access the floor and hide boxes.
Does anybody have a good wood that they would suggest to use? I understand not using the aromatic woods but what would work best?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks so much everybody for your comments. I am currently changing a few things in my plans to accommodate a top as well doors to access the floor and hide boxes.
Does anybody have a good wood that they would suggest to use? I understand not using the aromatic woods but what would work best?

I just use regular plywood and 2x4s. No particle board or OSB. Use Real plywood.