Tortoise table help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

salezel

5 Year Member
Hello,

my girlfriend has a russian tortoise I am building her a table for it to live in.

I have all my materials except for a sealant. I have a few questions I need answered please.

what do i need to treat the wood on the exterior with.

what can i put on the inside of the table(where the tort will be) to make sure it is waterproof and sealed properly.( i am asking about chemicals or sealants etc..not linolium or liners)

please give me names or links to any items suggested. I am wanting to do this soon so i need help.

salezel

5 Year Member

Mightymcknighty

5 Year Member
I'm actually currently in the process of making one myself started off yesterday when I bought a 4ftx3ft bookshelf for the base of the enclosure adding a stronger bottom for support, I have a redfoot so he needs humidity I will be using a cocking seal on the sides of my tank and I will also be using pond linear so it will protect the wood from moisture.

reatrocity

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
West Virginia, United States
I think I've read some people use shower curtains and just staple it on the interior of the table as an easy fix against moisture. It really depends though, I'm sure there are many different solutions. I've never tried them myself though, wish I could be more help!

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
the links provided by the one and only Yvonne should do you just fine.

0.1.0 Russian tortoise
0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pit/American Bulldog

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For an adult russian, it won't likely be all that damp all the time. I leave my enclosures untreated on the inside. For the ones housing species or ages that will require a lot of dampness, I sometimes staple black plastic sheeting along the bottom and partway up the sides. No commonly available paint or epoxy will hold up to being wet all the time. This is according to the Home Depot general manager, paint department manager, and the rep from the paint company that supplies HD. I had to find some non-toxic boat paint. After all the trouble and expense, it worked fine, but its just not necessary in my case. I have untreated closed chambers that have been housing humid species for more than 10 years now.

salezel

5 Year Member
I don't know how wet he will be, I know she mists his enclosure to keep dust down but since we switched to using ecoearth stuff(it comes in a brick you add water and it expands) dust isn't much of a problem. I just don't want his table to rot or mildew.
. Every one keeps talking about expoxys and sealants etc, and as I don't do a lot of crafts or anything I don't know what I'm looking for so in trying to find something that someone can Name and say that named item will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.