Littlefoot

Little-Foot

hi everyone. I have a Hermann and she went in the garden for half an hour in the hottest day un known to me this is dangerous for a 1 yr old. Being Mediterranean I thought it would be fine. He had bubbles coming out of his mouth. The vet said that is her overheating. I was so upset with myself! They must go in too high temp. He has had critical care as not eating very much. He is nibbling on some food and the bubbles have stopped. The vet said he needs lots of baths to hydrate herself. She had flaking skin a lot. I am learning all the time. I just hope she will be ok now. Has this happened to anyone else?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome

Sorry to hear about your tort. Unfortunately on the very hot days, the temperature at ground level in full sun way exceeds the air temperature.

In this type of weather conditions your tort needs really good shade. We have excellent information about how to keep your tort cool on the hottest days here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-keep-your-tortoise-s-cool-on-a-hot-day.98439/

Your vet is correct that your tort needs lots of good long soaks.

- Use a high sided bowl that it can't see through.
- Have the water come just up over the plastron (undershell), but not too deep.
- The water should be warm, but not hot.
- Soak for at least 30 minutes 3 times a day at the moment.
- If your tort poops in the water just scoop it out.
- If the water goes cold then change it.

I am guessing you are in the UK? If so you consider getting some Reptoboost to add to the soaking water. It's good for rehydration. I use it after hibernation.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! Sounds like you and your little one may have gotten lucky. Those little guys just have no body mass to handle heat.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hope your little one recovers OK.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome, hope she soon recovers with all the good advice you have been given.
We all learn from our mistakes and you are in the right place to learn more about how to keep your tort happy and healthy.
There is a good caresheet for Hermanns under the Species Specific section.
The Beginners Mistakes thread (link below) is also great for learning from other peoples mistakes and the enclosures thread has lots of good ideas for inside and outside enclosures.
Good luck to you both .

Little-Foot

hi everyone. I have a Hermann and she went in the garden for half an hour in the hottest day un known to me this is dangerous for a 1 yr old. Being Mediterranean I thought it would be fine. He had bubbles coming out of his mouth. The vet said that is her overheating. I was so upset with myself! They must go in too high temp. He has had critical care as not eating very much. He is nibbling on some food and the bubbles have stopped. The vet said he needs lots of baths to hydrate herself. She had flaking skin a lot. I am learning all the time. I just hope she will be ok now. Has this happened to anyone else?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!:)

Very sorry to have just read that your tort is ill.:( Wishes for him to get well SOON! :<3:

Please post pictures of your tort as well as his enclosure as soon as possible. This will enable us to help you more easily.

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
Welcome! so sorry to hear about your little one! lots of soaks to get her hydrated. great advice to follow from joesmom