Long Drive?

Lark_Tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ct
Hi everybody!
I am getting a Russian Tort in late March at the nearest expo to my house. Unfortunately, it will be a two and a half hour drive.:( Is this dangerous for a tortoise? Is there anything I can do to make it safer and less stressful for the tort? What temp. should the car be inside? Also, what should I keep them in during the ride? Thanks- Lark:D

MickeyMouse

L'Assomption, Quebec, Canada
When I got my tortoise in january I had to make a 1h30 drive, and I live in Canada where temperature is very cold (was -15 that day).
Of course I have heating in the car, but to make the travel easy, the breeder put the tortoise in a small plastic container with hay to protect her. Then he put the small plastic container il a small box, and in that box he put a plastic bottle filled with hot water. So for the ride the tortoise was kept safe in dark and conserved her heat easily.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If it's an adult Russian just put him in a small plastic box with a lid and breathing holes and cover it so it's dark. Be sure to put some dirt or coconut coir substrate to keep him from sliding around and to absorb pee. Then put a towel over it if it's not a dark box do it stays dark inside. The temp should be at least 68 or above in the car. Don't put him on the floor it's a lot colder there and not on the dash or right in front of a heat/air vent.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everybody!
I am getting a Russian Tort in late March at the nearest expo to my house. Unfortunately, it will be a two and a half hour drive.:( Is this dangerous for a tortoise? Is there anything I can do to make it safer and less stressful for the tort? What temp. should the car be inside? Also, what should I keep them in during the ride? Thanks- Lark:D

Are you looking to buy a baby or an adult?

I ask because most breeders start their babies too dry. You might be better served by getting a baby from a breeder here on the forum and having it shipped overnight.

I enjoy reptile shows, but sadly, most breeders start the babies too dry, and most sellers don't know how the baby was started. Most tortoises for sale at a show are on dry substrate, pyramiding, and often several species are in one tank together. Any one of these is enough to make me not buy one from them. If the seller tells me they soak daily, and they are only on the dry substrate temporarily while in the cool show hall, I'd be fine with that, but I've yet to have anyone tell me that.

Lark_Tortoise

5 Year Member
Ct
Are you looking to buy a baby or an adult?

I ask because most breeders start their babies too dry. You might be better served by getting a baby from a breeder here on the forum and having it shipped overnight.

I enjoy reptile shows, but sadly, most breeders start the babies too dry, and most sellers don't know how the baby was started. Most tortoises for sale at a show are on dry substrate, pyramiding, and often several species are in one tank together. Any one of these is enough to make me not buy one from them. If the seller tells me they soak daily, and they are only on the dry substrate temporarily while in the cool show hall, I'd be fine with that, but I've yet to have anyone tell me that.

I am looking for an adult tortoise. I know some of the breeders that will be there and will look for the circumstances you mentioned. Thanks for the advice!-Lark:D

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I wouldn't think that a car drive alone would do any harm.
Most of the members I've dealt with over the years have made 2 to 4 hour drives (each way) to come and see me and take tortoises home.
One thing I will caution you is... Bring shredded newspaper along and do not use a cardboard box for transport. A tortoise along for a long drive will pee and poo like crazy and it will soak the box and stink up your car or truck. A plastic tote and shredded newspaper can be quickly swapped out and the paper does a decent job of smell control, too.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I agree a Russian should be fine on that drive, packed in a small box (we use one with a lid). If your car has heated seats, you can use them. Worked great on our recent trip to the vet!