LONGSHOT LOST RUSSIAN TORTOISE PA

HAMPS77

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Freedom Pennsylvania
A buddy of mine lost his Russian tortoise “Brian” awhile back, I figured I’d post something to try and see if he’s still out there. It was lost near Loganville PA about 3 years ago. I have no pictures, but he was last seen roaming a neighborhood. Anyone found a Russian in PA the last couple years? I know it’s a longshot, but this is my last effort to try and bring ‘em home.

Friarfr3d

Waynesboro pa
Heyo, found a Russian Box Tortoise in our yard today and then this post when we were looking for where he came from. He's definitely someone's escaped pet and he has one heck of a passionate energy to him so if he traveled all the way to waynesboro pa that'd be pretty funny. Did you have any old photos or descriptors of him. He was a male right? About 5 inch shell

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Heyo, found a Russian Box Tortoise in our yard today and then this post when we were looking for where he came from. He's definitely someone's escaped pet and he has one heck of a passionate energy to him so if he traveled all the way to waynesboro pa that'd be pretty funny. Did you have any old photos or descriptors of him. He was a male right? About 5 inch shell
There are no Russian box turtle. It's either a Russian tortoise or a box turtle.

Friarfr3d

Waynesboro pa
Am i wrong on the ID? Is this a native species? I didnt think there were any native tortoise in PA.received_588406923134827.jpeg

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Please don’t release it. Hopefully there is a reptile rescue near you or a shelter. If you do advertise it on craigslist or next-door for lost and found, don’t post a picture of it. Ask the respondents to send you a photo that they have of their missing Tortoise and then you can compare to see if it is the same one by looking at the markings. Otherwise someone might claim it as their own just to resell it or worse…

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It looks good. Probably not been missing from the owner very long.

HAMPS77

5 Year Member
New Freedom Pennsylvania
OMG!! Let me send the picture to my buddy and see if it’s him.

HAMPS77

5 Year Member
New Freedom Pennsylvania
Am i wrong on the ID? Is this a native species? I didnt think there were any native tortoise in PA.View attachment 357572
I checked the mapping, it’s nearly a straight line from the way the tortoise went to waynesboro. He has been missing since 2019, this would be amazing if he survived this long in PA.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I checked the mapping, it’s nearly a straight line from the way the tortoise went to waynesboro. He has been missing since 2019, this would be amazing if he survived this long in PA.
Please keep us posted. 🤞

zovick

10 Year Member!
II is a Russian Tortoise, though I highly doubt is is the same tortoise which escaped from Loganville in 2019. It is roughly 60 miles from Loganville to Waynesboro, and that is one heck of a long way for a 5" tortoise to travel, even in 4 years' time.

It's far more likely that it escaped from someone more local to where you found it in Waynesboro (unless of course, someone picked it up in Loganville and took it to Waynesboro, then later either released it or it escaped from them).

HAMPS77

5 Year Member
New Freedom Pennsylvania

Attachments

• IMG_2118.jpeg
    IMG_2118.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 4

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I would say not the same bc the newly found one has more dark along the edge scutes, unless that changes over time and I’m not aware of it. Would be better if they had better photos of the lost one.

But I also would say if a/he doesn’t find a home maybe your friend could take him as a legacy, but only if they have an enclosure for him

EricW

Houston, TX
I would say not the same bc the newly found one has more dark along the edge scutes, unless that changes over time and I’m not aware of it. Would be better if they had better photos of the lost one.

But I also would say if a/he doesn’t find a home maybe your friend could take him as a legacy, but only if they have an enclosure for him
Check out the "dents" to the scutes right of the head, they are similar. Beak is similar too. I don't know, may be.