Looking at tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

DynamicTurtleHD

So all my life basically i have loved tortoises, and I do want one but maybe in a couple of years after i know exactly what to do, But just asking, what tortoise species is the best for beginner tortoise owners? Is there a good species or is the difficulty to raise them mostly the same? Also what is the best substrate for a tortoise? i looked at cypress mulch but that looks like it gets dry fast. Any good ideas?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). The most recommended for newbies are the Russians, hermanni and Greeks.
I like coconut coir the best for substrate, I have leopards and a Russian. I personally think if you get the correct info like what this forum offers, then most any species should be fairly easy.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Russian tortoises are a good starter tortoise. An older tortoise instead of a hatchling is easier. Coco Coir is a great substrate. I put a layer of Coir and top it with bark.
Welcome to the forum.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Which species you choose is a matter of personal opinion. Try to get some first hand experience with several. Climate is a big factor in which species I choose to work with. Where in the world are you?

Substrate choice depends on species and size. For example, I prefer coco coir for russian and CA desert tortoise hatchlings, but I prefer orchid bark for older ones. I prefer orchid bark for sulcata and leopard hatchlings too.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I love greeks, though I am biased.
They are a smaller tortoise, personable and not perhaps as hyper as a Russian.
Would make a good starter tortoise, in my opinion.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

It's great that you're doing your research before getting the tortoise.

DynamicTurtleHD

Which species you choose is a matter of personal opinion. Try to get some first hand experience with several. Climate is a big factor in which species I choose to work with. Where in the world are you?

Substrate choice depends on species and size. For example, I prefer coco coir for russian and CA desert tortoise hatchlings, but I prefer orchid bark for older ones. I prefer orchid bark for sulcata and leopard hatchlings too.
I live in Pennsylvania

Status
Not open for further replies.