Looking for Baby Salcata in NJ

JMeyers16

Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Hi All - I am looking for a baby Salcata. (well started baby is what all the sites seem to call them) 3+/- months old. I am located in Central NJ. So eastern PA or by mail seems to be my best options. I went though the breeder list but have not had any luck yet so I figured I would ask here. I am trying to avoid pet stores or Tortoise town etc. I actually live not too far from Tortoise town

I also went thought the care sheet (even printed and highlighted it) and and just about done building closed chamber Sterant posted. Thanks for all that information is was very helpful!
We have (2) red eared sliders (15years) and are excited to add a Salcata to our home

Thank You!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure someone will help you out with a breeder.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi All - I am looking for a baby Salcata. (well started baby is what all the sites seem to call them) 3+/- months old. I am located in Central NJ. So eastern PA or by mail seems to be my best options. I went though the breeder list but have not had any luck yet so I figured I would ask here. I am trying to avoid pet stores or Tortoise town etc. I actually live not too far from Tortoise town

I also went thought the care sheet (even printed and highlighted it) and and just about done building closed chamber Sterant posted. Thanks for all that information is was very helpful!
We have (2) red eared sliders (15years) and are excited to add a Salcata to our home

Thank You!
I strongly recommend against this species in your climate. They are amazing wonderful tortoises with great personalities, but there is just no practical way to house them in a climate with frozen winters. They can't be cooped up in a shed or basement for months at a time. Many people think they will deal with that years down the road, but if you get a healthy well started baby, it can reach 30 pounds in two or three years.
z5buxv2twye11 (1).jpg

If you are determined and really think you can deal with a giant tropical reptile with huge heated space requirements, then contact @NorCal tortoise guy for a healthy well started baby.

Better species for your area would be smaller and able to be housed indoor all winter, or brumated in winter. How about hermanni, Russians, greeks, stars, pancakes?

Also, check this out:

JMeyers16

NJ
Thank you I appreciate the advice. To be honest I wanted a western Herman’s and my wife wants the Salcata. We
Do have a few acres of land and a heated indoor “barn” that’s about 1500sf we would use for the Salcata in winter. Of course bigger is better but do you think that would work?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you I appreciate the advice. To be honest I wanted a western Herman’s and my wife wants the Salcata. We
Do have a few acres of land and a heated indoor “barn” that’s about 1500sf we would use for the Salcata in winter. Of course bigger is better but do you think that would work?
I don't know how you would heat the barn enough that the temperature on the floor is 80+ degrees. And then you'd need to make some sort of area where the temp is even warmer than that.

Get the Hermans.

JMeyers16

NJ
Thanks - I think I'm talking her into it. Any Hermans breeders on here you can point me to.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks - I think I'm talking her into it. Any Hermans breeders on here you can point me to.
I like tortoisesupply.com. Its a family owned and run business and they breed their own. Good people. Healthy tortoises.

Otherwise look in the hermanni section here to see if any members are hatching any for sale.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
If you are in NJ, not sure if they do Hermans but look at Garden State Tortoise