EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Canebrake Ca
Will Intex pool ponds hold up under harsh winter conditions?
Where we live, the winter weather conditions are brutal.
We have times here where it is 10-20 degrees for a few days and I have never had an issue. I know this is not a NH winter but close at least for a few days to a week. Our large 1 which is 16' in diameter has had over 5" of ice on the top of it and again no issues. I'm sorry I can't give you a definite but it's definitely worth a try.

Wayfarin

Groveton, NH
How high can the Rubbermaid stock tanks be filled with water without the turtles easily escaping?

I plan on adding water hyacinth and water lettuce. Will an adult RES be able to climb these plants to escape the pond?

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
How high can the Rubbermaid stock tanks be filled with water without the turtles easily escaping?

I plan on adding water hyacinth and water lettuce. Will an adult RES be able to climb these plants to escape the pond?
What has to be determined is .... will this support the weight of a(n) Turtle? Example: A floating piece of wood will just submerge when/if a turtle was to try and stand on it. Not allowing the turtle to gain any height, therefore not allowing the turtle to climb out. Water level can be within 3 inches from top. Now if you had a Milk Crate as a place for the turtle to be able to get out of the water and bask, it CAN NOT be anywhere around the edges of the stock tank.
My ponds are 2-3 inches from the top of the liner, but with nothing to "Stand" on they can not escape.

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
I would exercise caution with this. I thought my pond was escape proof at first and then my turtles climbed 8" of shear vertical to bask on the top ledge because there was "rock on a roll" stuff around the edges that gave them grip. I had to add an overhang.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca

So floating plants OFTEN are strong enough to support a turtles weight and they will act as a ladder for the turtle to escape.

Wayfarin

Groveton, NH
Is there any way to provide a nesting area for turtles in Rubbermaid ponds?

Since the pond setup would be outside, the nesting area would need water drainage to prevent flooding problems.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Is there any way to provide a nesting area for turtles in Rubbermaid ponds?

Since the pond setup would be outside, the nesting area would need water drainage to prevent flooding problems.
You can create an are outside the Rubbermaid tank for the nest. This of course would need fencing to keep them from going anywhere else.

Wayfarin

Groveton, NH
You can create an are outside the Rubbermaid tank for the nest. This of course would need fencing to keep them from going anywhere else.
The tank would most likely not be level with the ground, so the turtle would have a hard time getting in and out of the pond.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
You would use cinder blocks to create a "Porch" like area. Stack bricks to get to the height of the tank and use something like a piece of plywood to make the "Floor" or "Ground" that the turtles will walk on and nest.

Wayfarin

Groveton, NH
You would use cinder blocks to create a "Porch" like area. Stack bricks to get to the height of the tank and use something like a piece of plywood to make the "Floor" or "Ground" that the turtles will walk on and nest.
Don't most water turtles need deep, draining substrate to nest?