How often to change substrate with live plants

Cordycord

Location (City and/or State)
Manila
How often do I have to change my substrate? I have soil, coco coir and some sphagnum moss. I also have live plants, Boston ferns and herbs.

Aside from spot cleaning everyday, is there a need to completely change the substrate? I’m not particularly interested in putting bugs in there to make it bio active.

Thanks so much!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How often do I have to change my substrate? I have soil, coco coir and some sphagnum moss. I also have live plants, Boston ferns and herbs.

Aside from spot cleaning everyday, is there a need to completely change the substrate? I’m not particularly interested in putting bugs in there to make it bio active.

Thanks so much!
Soil and sphagnum moss should never be used as tortoise substrates. Both are dangerous.

To answer your question, you would never change that out. Just spot clean any poop or leftover food daily.

While you might not want to add bugs to make it bio-active, the bugs in your area have other ideas and will be moving in whether you want them there or not. If this enclosure has been set up for more than a few days, the detrivores are already there. Phorid flies and springtails will colonize a tortoise enclosure almost overnight.

Cordycord

Manila
Soil and sphagnum moss should never be used as tortoise substrates. Both are dangerous.

To answer your question, you would never change that out. Just spot clean any poop or leftover food daily.

While you might not want to add bugs to make it bio-active, the bugs in your area have other ideas and will be moving in whether you want them there or not. If this enclosure has been set up for more than a few days, the detrivores are already there. Phorid flies and springtails will colonize a tortoise enclosure almost overnight.
Oh what I read so many articles online about moss and soil being good substrates. How confusing 🥲
what kind of substrate do you suggest?

Is it because of impaction? What about those that live in backyards etc, aren’t they in soil too?

Also, I don’t mind those bugs I guess. Just don’t want to physically put them myself lol. Those bugs that you mentioned - are they harmless? Thanks!

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Soil is not recommended mostly because you can't be 100% sure about its origin - there could be leftovers of composted toxic plants and all sorts of junk which goes to compost by accident. Also it's messy and prone to mold (if plants can grow in it then fungi can too).

Moss when eaten can cause lethal impactions. While it doesn't happen with every tortoise every day, no reason to take your chances - moss has no unique benefits.

Recommended substrates are:
coconut coir (coco peat), orchid (fir) bark and cypress mulch. You can use just one or mix them (different areas of the enclosure or coir covered with a layer of bark).

Outdoors is not the same as indoor enclosure - better aeration, rains, sunlight exposure, plant roots holding soil firm and so. Bagged top soil is still not recommended, but plain untreated yard dirt is fine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh what I read so many articles online about moss and soil being good substrates. How confusing 🥲
what kind of substrate do you suggest?

Is it because of impaction? What about those that live in backyards etc, aren’t they in soil too?

Also, I don’t mind those bugs I guess. Just don’t want to physically put them myself lol. Those bugs that you mentioned - are they harmless? Thanks!
Most of the care info offered for tortoises from most sources is all old wrong info. I usually link this thread for new members to explain this, but it appears I missed you, or you missed it. Give this a read through at least a couple of times:

Its because of impaction, hazards like perlite and foreign objects like glass or plastic or nails or screws, and toxicity.

What do backyard plants have to do with this? If the tortoise doesn't have access to the soil, then it doesn't matter for any of this. If the tortoise has access to the soil of your backyard plants, then all this same info applies. Plants in my back yard are planted in the native dirt that is there. Potted plants in my back yard are in store bough "potting soil" and tortoises don't have access to that material.

The bugs that move in are harmless detrivores and they work to keep your enclosure cleaner and reduce potential pathogens. They won't harm you or your tortoises, unless you start getting ants or crickets in there. That would be a different story.

Cordycord

Manila
Most of the care info offered for tortoises from most sources is all old wrong info. I usually link this thread for new members to explain this, but it appears I missed you, or you missed it. Give this a read through at least a couple of times:

Its because of impaction, hazards like perlite and foreign objects like glass or plastic or nails or screws, and toxicity.

What do backyard plants have to do with this? If the tortoise doesn't have access to the soil, then it doesn't matter for any of this. If the tortoise has access to the soil of your backyard plants, then all this same info applies. Plants in my back yard are planted in the native dirt that is there. Potted plants in my back yard are in store bough "potting soil" and tortoises don't have access to that material.

The bugs that move in are harmless detrivores and they work to keep your enclosure cleaner and reduce potential pathogens. They won't harm you or your tortoises, unless you start getting ants or crickets in there. That would be a different story.
Oh wow that is an amazing thread! It basically has everything I need to know to start and prepare for my tortoise. Thanks soo much!

Cordycord

Manila
Soil is not recommended mostly because you can't be 100% sure about its origin - there could be leftovers of composted toxic plants and all sorts of junk which goes to compost by accident. Also it's messy and prone to mold (if plants can grow in it then fungi can too).

Moss when eaten can cause lethal impactions. While it doesn't happen with every tortoise every day, no reason to take your chances - moss has no unique benefits.

Recommended substrates are:
coconut coir (coco peat), orchid (fir) bark and cypress mulch. You can use just one or mix them (different areas of the enclosure or coir covered with a layer of bark).

Outdoors is not the same as indoor enclosure - better aeration, rains, sunlight exposure, plant roots holding soil firm and so. Bagged top soil is still not recommended, but plain untreated yard dirt is fine.
That makes sense. Purchased coco coir and orchid bark. Thank you!!!