Looking for my first tortoise

syd0.0

Location (City and/or State)
California
Live in san Diego, California area and I'm looking for a russian or Herman's tortoise who needs a home. Let me know if you have anything :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No harm in asking, but these are valuable animals. People don't usually give them away.

syd0.0

California
No harm in asking, but these are valuable animals. People don't usually give them away.
Of course they're valuable. All animals are :) I thought instead of buying from someone I could see if an unwanted one needed a forever home first.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Of course they're valuable. All animals are :) I thought instead of buying from someone I could see if an unwanted one needed a forever home first.
No. All animals are not valuable. Some can easily be found for free, and some can be puchased for a few bucks. I just got a bunch of bags of frozen chicks. $6.25 for a bag of 25. This is much less valuable than a $150 Russian or $250 hermanni.

And animals do not need a "forever home". This concept is absurd. You are not going to live forever. Even if you are five years old, this tortoise should outlive you, unless something goes terribly wrong in the next 100 years. When you are too old to care for it properly, or if you were to die, or if you get bored with it, the animal should go to whatever home that will give it the best care possible. There is nothing wrong with people giving up animals to a better home, and this forever home drivel can impede that beneficial move. This is especially true of reptiles, which do not form social bonds with their human care takers.

syd0.0

California
No. All animals are not valuable. Some can easily be found for free, and some can be puchased for a few bucks. I just got a bunch of bags of frozen chicks. $6.25 for a bag of 25. This is much less valuable than a $150 Russian or $250 hermanni.

And animals do not need a "forever home". This concept is absurd. You are not going to live forever. Even if you are five years old, this tortoise should outlive you, unless something goes terribly wrong in the next 100 years. When you are too old to care for it properly, or if you were to die, or if you get bored with it, the animal should go to whatever home that will give it the best care possible. There is nothing wrong with people giving up animals to a better home, and this forever home drivel can impede that beneficial move. This is especially true of reptiles, which do not form social bonds with their human care takers.
All animals are valuable. Just because one costs more than another, it doesn't diminish the value of a living breathing animal. There may be a price difference in animals, but they are equal in value. And when it comes to my "forever home drivel", I plan to care for it for as long as I live and I don't plan on getting bored of the tortoise. this tortoise will go in my will if I am out lived and be given to someone who can properly care for it and love it. never did I say rehoming was a bad thing. I think if you can't care for an animal the best thing you can do is rehome it. I have no judgment towards those who do. And if the person I choose to care for my tortoise ends up not being a good fit I will try my best to tell them to rehome it. I don't understand why you are so uptight about this when I'm trying to find an animal that needs a home.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All animals are valuable. Just because one costs more than another, it doesn't diminish the value of a living breathing animal. There may be a price difference in animals, but they are equal in value. And when it comes to my "forever home drivel", I plan to care for it for as long as I live and I don't plan on getting bored of the tortoise. this tortoise will go in my will if I am out lived and be given to someone who can properly care for it and love it. never did I say rehoming was a bad thing. I think if you can't care for an animal the best thing you can do is rehome it. I have no judgment towards those who do. And if the person I choose to care for my tortoise ends up not being a good fit I will try my best to tell them to rehome it. I don't understand why you are so uptight about this when I'm trying to find an animal that needs a home.
I'm talking about monetary value. You could easily tell that from my first post. You are talking about some emotional esoteric cosmic forces of the universe intrinsic value to each living thing... You knew darn well what I meant.

I'm not uptight. I find it annoying when people ask for something for free when they should be paying for it. Go to the gas station and ask if they want to donate some gas to you. Go to your grocery store and ask them if they have any food they want to donate to you. Call my mortgage broker and ask them if they'll donate a few months mortgage payments for me. Let me now how it goes at these venues for you, and then ask me again about being uptight. What do you think the person behind the counter at the gas station is going to say to you when you ask for a free tank of gas? Or ten free tanks? ($25 x 10 = $250, or roughly the price of a decent hermanni) Do you think they will have flowery complimentary things to say to you? Will you ask them why they are so uptight when they are done replying to you?

syd0.0

California
I'm talking about monetary value. You could easily tell that from my first post. You are talking about some emotional esoteric cosmic forces of the universe intrinsic value to each living thing... You knew darn well what I meant.

I'm not uptight. I find it annoying when people ask for something for free when they should be paying for it. Go to the gas station and ask if they want to donate some gas to you. Go to your grocery store and ask them if they have any food they want to donate to you. Call my mortgage broker and ask them if they'll donate a few months mortgage payments for me. Let me now how it goes at these venues for you, and then ask me again about being uptight. What do you think the person behind the counter at the gas station is going to say to you when you ask for a free tank of gas? Or ten free tanks? ($25 x 10 = $250, or roughly the price of a decent hermanni) Do you think they will have flowery complimentary things to say to you? Will you ask them why they are so uptight when they are done replying to you?
Did I say I was looking for a free tortoise? No. I didn't. And I know you're talking about money. I was saying there is value in animals with or without a cost. I'm not here on this forum because I like that tortoises are more expensive than a bag of 25 chicks.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I've found a few of the tortoises now living with me through Craigslist... set a big enough circle around your zip code and search tortoise in "for sale" and "community" and something will come up.

Jamie

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
There are usually animals up for adoption in the local animal shelter or turtle clubs. Try contacting the Sacremento Turtle and Tortoise Club or similar. I know out here on the east coast our local club always has multiple turtles up for adoption. The clubs also offer a support network for care tips, help finding an experienced reptile vet, and usually include an agreement stating that if for any reason you can no longer care for the animal you will return it to the club for readoption.

syd0.0

California
I've found a few of the tortoises now living with me through Craigslist... set a big enough circle around your zip code and search tortoise in "for sale" and "community" and something will come up.

Jamie
So far that's what I've been doing but no luck. I'll continue to look tho. Thanks for the advice!

Reactions: Ink

syd0.0

California
There are usually animals up for adoption in the local animal shelter or turtle clubs. Try contacting the Sacremento Turtle and Tortoise Club or similar. I know out here on the east coast our local club always has multiple turtles up for adoption. The clubs also offer a support network for care tips, help finding an experienced reptile vet, and usually include an agreement stating that if for any reason you can no longer care for the animal you will return it to the club for readoption.
That's a good idea I'll definitely check with them.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Did I say I was looking for a free tortoise? No. I didn't. And I know you're talking about money. I was saying there is value in animals with or without a cost. I'm not here on this forum because I like that tortoises are more expensive than a bag of 25 chicks.

Crush da Baum

Brooksville

That was very dark.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I found a FREE Russian tortoise on nextdoor, I sent it to a forum member because I just got my Eastern Hermann off of Craigslist (paid a rehoming fee). Just keep looking and I hope you find one!!! Keep us posted please.

syd0.0

California
I found a FREE Russian tortoise on nextdoor, I sent it to a forum member because I just got my Eastern Hermann off of Craigslist (paid a rehoming fee). Just keep looking and I hope you find one!!! Keep us posted please.
Will do!

Reactions: Ink