Looking for some help with new tortoise

Littleredfootbigredheart

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Just to check, how are your temps reading?(temp gun will come in handy) if they’re all fine this is highly likely him having a tantrum, they’re very dramatic little creatures🥲

Stephenxiii

Glasgow
Hello again, I wouldn’t worry about this behaviour too much yet, they absolutely hate any kind of change, even the positive ones lol! Keep offering food each day to entice him, but it could take a few weeks for him to truly settle, he’ll likely be the same once you have him in a new set up too

Okay and how long should I be worried that he’s not eating

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Okay and how long should I be worried that he’s not eating
Let me ask @Tom

Current temps and humidity
If you can I’d try and get yourself some digital monitors because the dial ones aren’t very accurate, but even if you could get a temp gun in the meantime to check that’d be good🙂

Stephenxiii

Glasgow
Let me ask @Tom

If you can I’d try and get yourself some digital monitors because the dial ones aren’t very accurate, but even if you could get a temp gun in the meantime to check that’d be good🙂
I’m currently waiting on a digital one coming I just bought then until it arrived just to make sure

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Current temps and humidity
This is much too hot. That is almost 37C, and its on the wall, not even under the heat lamp. That temperature is perfect if the thermometer was sitting directly under the heat lamp cooking, but that means the whole enclosure is much too hot. You likely need a lower wattage basking lamp.

Also, hand pack your substrate down. It is too loose and fluffy.

It looks dim in the picture. They won't eat if temperatures and lighting aren't right.

Are you doing daily warm soaks to get him hydrated and get him moving? Leave him in the soaking water for 30-40 minutes and keep it warm the whole time.

Stephenxiii

Glasgow
This is much too hot. That is almost 37C, and its on the wall, not even under the heat lamp. That temperature is perfect if the thermometer was sitting directly under the heat lamp cooking, but that means the whole enclosure is much too hot. You likely need a lower wattage basking lamp.

Also, hand pack your substrate down. It is too loose and fluffy.

It looks dim in the picture. They won't eat if temperatures and lighting aren't right.

Are you doing daily warm soaks to get him hydrated and get him moving? Leave him in the soaking water for 30-40 minutes and keep it warm the whole time.

Okay I’ll sort some new wattage lamps

Yeh he gets daily soaks and then gets to run around the house and we’ve had him supervised in the garden a few times too

It’s only dim looking the now as the room he’s in is our family room and we’re currently watching a film so the lights off and the blinds are closed
It’s usually pretty bright during the day

What does packing the substrate down do, I’m assuming he’ll still dig down but just make it more compact

Last edited:

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I can move the lamp up another 3/4” would that help or am I better getting lower wattage
Can you make on overall photo of the enclosure so the basking bulb and thermometer can be seen? Rising a lamp should help - 3-4 inches is a meaningful difference.

Hand packing substrate will make it less dusty and messy. And it will hold humidity better.