Lost Hermann-Need some advice

toirtís

Hello TFO,
Unfortunately, my 10 year old Hermann, Shelly, burrowed out of a temporary outdoor enclosure earlier this week, and I haven't been able to find her.
I've read a few of the older threads regarding finding lost tortoises, and have taken all advice there on board, but specifically I'm hoping for tips on how to lure her out of hiding?
I live on an acre of land, and my home is surrounded by fields on all sides, with thick hedgerows separating them. I've searched all over pretty extensively, but still nothing- while it wouldn't be hard for her to leave the garden, I don't imagine she's gone very far, and it's possible that I've walked by her several times already.
Since finding a creature with such excellent camouflage is a pretty difficult thing even in a small area, I was hoping to maybe lure her out into the open instead. Does anyone know how I might do this? I'm not even sure which part of the garden she may have headed off to, as the enclosure was set up roughly in the middle, not far from the house.
Thanks in advance!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Check in the morning when the sun comes out. She will want to warm herself up basking. There is nothing I can think up that would lure her out. Theh don't really search for food by smell as much as they just walk and graze on what is in front of them.

toirtís

Check in the morning when the sun comes out. She will want to warm herself up basking. There is nothing I can think up that would lure her out. Theh don't really search for food by smell as much as they just walk and graze on what is in front of them.
I'm already doing that but unfortunately the Irish weather has been very much itself of late and there's been no sign of her, probably because it's been cool and wet for the past few days. I do go out and check around every morning and periodically throughout the day anyway though.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Be sure to tell all close neighbors and any local vets and pet rescues, if you haven't already. That and continually looking for her. That's about all you can do. Oh and keep searching under bushes too. Feel around good, not just look. They can blend in really well. Don't give up though. We have seen most if not all lost tortoises on here found.
Good luck. Be sure to keep us updated.