Lost tortoise

Shellysmommy2

Last Saturday I let my Greek tortoise out in his enclosure and he somehow escaped. I moved his house over the winter and he managed to get under it and out. I am a total wreck. I have looked everywhere! I have box traps set with his favorite foods and hoping to lure him into one if he is still here. I think he could have crawled under this building. I bought a camera to look under the floor and in this hole but cant see him anywhere yet. I am ripping part of the floor out tomorrow so I can get a better look. Any ideas? I am just lost without him and will never stop looking. Thanks

Razan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Riverside, CA
So sorry to hear he escaped. Without a visual I can't picture the box traps, but that sounds like a neat idea. Post some signs too. Hope he turns up.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
You might want to put up fliers and tell the neighbors that he's gone missing. You would be amazed how far these little guys can roam.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I'm sorry.... Been there, it's awful.

Tell neighbors, tell everyone. Keep looking and looking and tell everyone! More eyes....it can help.
Good luck.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
My suggestion is to identify the sunny basking spots that he might use and bait them with irresistibles - strawberries come to mind.

Is he microchipped? You should notify all the local vets and also the RSPCA (or whatever it's called in your country), police and local paper so people know you are looking.

Good luck and a big electronic hug.

TheWarTortoise

10 Year Member!
Pennsylvania
A similar thing happened to my neighbors. They lost their Russian Tortoise and looked for about 2-3 days. Turns out that she was just in some overgrown grass underneath their trampoline in their backyard. Look for places that you would go if you were a tortoise for shelter. Overgrown grass, big bushes, leaves, ect. Hope you find your tort.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
A similar thing happened to my neighbors. They lost their Russian Tortoise and looked for about 2-3 days. Turns out that she was just in some overgrown grass underneath their trampoline in their backyard. Look for places that you would go if you were a tortoise for shelter. Overgrown grass, big bushes, leaves, ect. Hope you find your tort.
Don't mow the grass!!;)

Kori5

@Pearly found her baby after a month. Don't give up. I had a similar experience, he had a free range of our garden. And one afternoon we couldn't find him. I went crazy seaching for him and there he was, sleeping under the grass :). I cried and kissed him, and he was like: Oh you again, please I'm sleeping :p. Search every part of your garden, let your friends help you. Leave him some jummy food on his favorite spots and some water. Also, let everyone know he's missing, leave flyers with award.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Don't give up hope - think tortoise! Pearly left a heat source outside to try to lure her wanderer to a warmer spot. Do you have access to any cctv that you may be able to set up in your garden to catch his movements on? Hope he is home safely soon.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
The first place my big tortoise goes is under vehicles. The smaller guys crawl into/under the roots of big wet plants and leave no trace of themselves.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
This is a 1x2ft section of Tortoise pen. There is a 9 inch 4lb tortoise and a 5in 1lb tortoise in this photo. Hiding in plain sight. 1461351700805.jpg

Shellysmommy2

Thanks everyone. I am not giving up. My dog passed away 4years ago or she would have already found him. I live in the country and only have two neighbors. It is suppose to be nice the next few days and I will be on the hunt. Thanks, any advice is appreciated!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The only tortoise I ever had escape was caught some time later trying to break back in. I suppose for the familiarity of "home" and food.
Your tortoise doesn't know he's escaped and isn't hiding from you. He's still going to act like a tortoise and seek the same things. Food. A nice place to hang out.
Most lost tortoise stories end with the tort found alive and well.
Don't give up.