Lost tortoise

Melly123

Location (City and/or State)
Dubai
Hello! Yesterday I found a tortoise in my garage. We live in Dubai and I assume he/she escaped from home. I posted on my community pages but no one has claimed him. I want to take proper care of the tortoise but I can’t even identify him. If someone could take a look at the photo and help, I’d be so happy!

We don’t have natural grass so I’ve kept him in a planter box which is laid with our Dubai sand/soil. There is a drip irrigation system that comes on twice a day, is that a problem for the tortoise?

We have offered him coriander, apple and cucumber which he gobbled up.

Attachments

• IMG_7441.jpeg
    IMG_7441.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • DA2FC548-5F55-4E0E-B343-E33C578DE568.jpeg
    DA2FC548-5F55-4E0E-B343-E33C578DE568.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'd need to see his underside t be sure, but I think that's a Greek tortoise.

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus
Hello! Yesterday I found a tortoise in my garage. We live in Dubai and I assume he/she escaped from home. I posted on my community pages but no one has claimed him. I want to take proper care of the tortoise but I can’t even identify him. If someone could take a look at the photo and help, I’d be so happy!

We don’t have natural grass so I’ve kept him in a planter box which is laid with our Dubai sand/soil. There is a drip irrigation system that comes on twice a day, is that a problem for the tortoise?

We have offered him coriander, apple and cucumber which he gobbled up.
Hello!
He looks like Hermann's tortoise. Or may be a Greek, like Yvonne said. A pattern on underside will help to distinguish. However, caring for this species is very similar.

Here is the link to care sheet:

They mostly eat leafy greens, so coriander leaves are okay but don't feed apples and other fruit. Moringa (drumstick tree) leaves, rocket salad, radicchio (frisee, endive, chickory), green lettuce (from time to time), hibiscus leaves - are good to feed. Cucumber is good for hydration but low on nutrients.

Provide him a water dish (shallow clay saucer like ones used under flower pots are the best). Also, you can give him a warm bath: in a plastic bucket or container add a little of lukewarm water up to a level where bottom and top shell meet - 2-3 cm.

When feeding him, ensure that sand/soil doesn't get onto his foods. Food dish should be available through the day.

Dripper irrigation should be okay. Also, make sure he stays in a shaded area - when left under direct sunlight he may overheat.

Please, ask more questions, we'll try to sort things out.