Redfoot tortoise lost in backyard

DoubleM

Location (City and/or State)
CA
I let my redfoot tortoise Bubba in the backyard and he is happy going about. He tries to hide but we always find him and bring him in at night. Some days we have to hunt for him for hours but we always find him. He is about 3.5 years old. Today we can't seem to find him. We have looked everywhere. The temps in Northern California will dip to 58 F. I am worried for him.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do you have him in his own enclosure outside or you let him roam the whole yard?
For the reason you posted about, they need their own designated area, not just roam freely in the yard. His own space along with a heated night house would solve the problem you are having now and keep him much safer.
Good luck hope you find him quickly. Work on his own enclosure and heat box.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Just how big is your backyard? Get down on your hands and knees, look at things from the torts view and it looks different. Don't give up. Can he get out of your yard? You've already gotten great advice...good luck and welcome

DoubleM

CA
I let my redfoot tortoise Bubba in the backyard and he is happy going about. He tries to hide but we always find him and bring him in at night. Some days we have to hunt for him for hours but we always find him. He is about 3.5 years old. Today we can't seem to find him. We have looked everywhere. The temps in Northern California will dip to 58 F. I am worried for him.
Latest update: I found him on the hill under the bushes. He did spend the night there. I gave him a warm soak and he is eating now. Thank you all. I will make sure I have a proper enclosure for him.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Latest update: I found him on the hill under the bushes. He did spend the night there. I gave him a warm soak and he is eating now. Thank you all. I will make sure I have a proper enclosure for him.
I am so glad you found him - is the hill part of your backyard? I know the terrible sinking feeling one gets when one can't find him - we have never lost or mislaid Zola, because he is always with us - but I know the feeling well in my worst dreams, all the same !
Angie

DoubleM

CA
I am so glad you found him - is the hill part of your backyard? I know the terrible sinking feeling one gets when one can't find him - we have never lost or mislaid Zola, because he is always with us - but I know the feeling well in my worst dreams, all the same !
Angie
Yes the hill is part of the backyard. Anyways I will build an enclosure for him. Thank you.

DoubleM

CA

Attachments

• Bubba.jpg
    Bubba.jpg
    823.7 KB · Views: 6

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
As you've seen, 58° for a night won't kill him.

You'd already found him before I saw this post. I'm so glad that it ended well.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Glad you found your little one. It looks like your tortoise is pyramiding and has too dry of an environment. There are some excellent care sheets on this site for your Redfoot that will help him to grow a smoother prettier shell.