Lucy is not growing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanook

5 Year Member
Ok so I have fixed up Lucy's enclosure. She is now on a good diet, she gets 11 hrs of uvb light a day, water is in her tank, humidity level is about 75%, but she does not seem to be growing and this is worrying me. Please help :(

Attachments

• IMAG0183-1.jpg
    IMAG0183-1.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 57

Shanook

5 Year Member
nikki0601 said:
How old is Lucy? How long have you had Lucy?

The guy I took her from said she was 4 months & I have had her about a month.

Shanook said:
nikki0601 said:
How old is Lucy? How long have you had Lucy?

The guy I took her from said she was 4 months & I have had her about a month.

I'm just getting worried she might have a bone disease or something.

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bonifay, FL
How recent is that pic u posted? In the pic Lucy appears to be younger than four months, I dont see any growth between the scutes, my sully is 2 months old, had him a month, when I got him he had no growth between his scutes and now he has like a 1/4 an inch, weighs around 60 grams, the pic below is from today.. Maybe one of the expert keepers will chime in soon

torttablesully2post.jpg

Shanook

5 Year Member
nikki0601 said:
How recent is that pic u posted? In the pic Lucy appears to be younger than four months, I dont see any growth between the scutes, my sully is 2 months old, had him a month, when I got him he had no growth between his scutes and now he has like a 1/4 an inch, weighs around 60 grams, the pic below is from today.. Maybe one of the expert keepers will chime in soon

torttablesully2post.jpg

The pic is from two days ago. She prob. is younger then that. The guy I took him from knew less then I am willing to learn. He just thought all she need was regular house bulb & he was pretty much done. I hope they do. Your sully is cute, thanks for the words :)

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Shanook said:
Ok so I have fixed up Lucy's enclosure. She is now on a good diet, she gets 11 hrs of uvb light a day, water is in her tank, humidity level is about 75%, but she does not seem to be growing and this is worrying me. Please help :(

She has no growth at all that i can see between her scutes , she looks like mine did at like two or three weeks old...
I'm not an expert though. She looks like just a two weeks old or so hatchling

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Don't worry yet! Winter is not the best time to judge baby tortoise growth...especially in cold climates...where are you anyway? It seems everything you're doing is good so far. Even though she has water in her tank...she may not be hydrating like she should. Soak her in warm (not hot...slightly warmer than lukewarm) water in the AM and again in mid-afternoon...about 20 minutes per session. What are you using for light/heat...I'm going to suggest a Mercury Vapor Bulb...Zoo Med' Powersun works for me;) Another thing...it's good that she's eating...but straight greens ain't gonna cut it. Pick up some Mazuri...soak it..and see where that takes you. Between the MVB and the Mazuri, things should take a better turn. Also...I don't care what the temps are...if you got full sun outside...put her out for an hour. That's better than any bulb will ever perform.

Shanook

5 Year Member
Laura said:
have you weighed her? have you tried feeding mazuri? had a fecal checked for parasites?

No I need to go purchase a scale tomorrow. I also need to go buy a new tape measure mine seemed to have grown legs & walked away. No I haven't. I have never even heard about mazuri.She/he is a picky eater, she will not touch mustard greens or collard greens. I'm searching for Optunia, buit around here (Seymour, IN) its kinda hard. I have not had her fecal checked, I don't know why I did not think of that. Big duh on my part.

BrinnANDGupta said:
Shanook said:

She has no growth at all that i can see between her scutes , she looks like mine did at like two or three weeks old...
I'm not an expert though. She looks like just a two weeks old or so hatchling

Well I have had her for bout a month, but I know now she is younger then what the guy I got from said (4 months).

DeanS said:
Don't worry yet! Winter is not the best time to judge baby tortoise growth...especially in cold climates...where are you anyway? It seems everything you're doing is good so far. Even though she has water in her tank...she may not be hydrating like she should. Soak her in warm (not hot...slightly warmer than lukewarm) water in the AM and again in mid-afternoon...about 20 minutes per session. What are you using for light/heat...I'm going to suggest a Mercury Vapor Bulb...Zoo Med' Powersun works for me;) Another thing...it's good that she's eating...but straight greens ain't gonna cut it. Pick up some Mazuri...soak it..and see where that takes you. Between the MVB and the Mazuri, things should take a better turn. Also...I don't care what the temps are...if you got full sun outside...put her out for an hour. That's better than any bulb will ever perform.

I am in Seymour, IN. I soak her once everyday for 20 minutes. I didn't know I should soak her more often. I will do so. As for heat I am using a powersun bulb as well, the type that gives off heat & uvb rays. I also have a ceramic heat emitter, it's so cold w/out it. Ya I have been on the hunt for Mazuri since suggested earlier. I think I may have to order it on line. I am checking the stores tomorrow when they open. We have had nothing but rain & are looking for snow later in the week. I feel so bad (not being able to give her natural sun light) but Lucy is doing much better then her brother R.I.P.
THANK YOU so much for your words of wisdom.

JLSchmittou

5 Year Member
Shanook said:
No I need to go purchase a scale tomorrow. I also need to go buy a new tape measure mine seemed to have grown legs & walked away. No I haven't. I have never even heard about mazuri.She/he is a picky eater, she will not touch mustard greens or collard greens. I'm searching for Optunia, buit around here (Seymour, IN) its kinda hard. I have not had her fecal checked, I don't know why I did not think of that. Big duh on my part.

Well I have had her for bout a month, but I know now she is younger then what the guy I got from said (4 months).

I am in Seymour, IN. I soak her once everyday for 20 minutes. I didn't know I should soak her more often. I will do so. As for heat I am using a powersun bulb as well, the type that gives off heat & uvb rays. I also have a ceramic heat emitter, it's so cold w/out it. Ya I have been on the hunt for Mazuri since suggested earlier. I think I may have to order it on line. I am checking the stores tomorrow when they open. We have had nothing but rain & are looking for snow later in the week. I feel so bad (not being able to give her natural sun light) but Lucy is doing much better then her brother R.I.P.
THANK YOU so much for your words of wisdom.

Grab a scale for $20 at bed bath and beyond.. I scored mine there and it weighs oz, g, and lbs. I used a coupon for 20% off that you can get for singing up for email newsletters... Just a fyi

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Shanook said:
Ya I have been on the hunt for Mazuri since suggested earlier. I think I may have to order it on line. I am checking the stores tomorrow when they open.

You should be able to get Mazuri at your local feed store...anywhere they sell hay. If they don't have it, they'll order it. Another option would be to go to coastalsilkworms.com and order Red Tortoise Sticks from John. They may bury Mazuri in quality...more to follow!:cool:

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Your lucy has gone through 3 environment changes, where he/she hatched, the previous owner, and you. These are all quite traumatic for a small creature. In my opinion you should concentrate on consistent high-quality care for lucy, which means sticking to a routine for feeding, and bathing. The addition of mazuri will definitely help with growth and increasing it, but just be patient.

Remember that in no way/shape/form would this animal be around a human at this size in the wild or ever, some take more time in captivity to get acquainted with their keeper. I think you are doing a great job.

Also please post a photo of your environment for lucy.

Status
Not open for further replies.