Macedonia captive bred.

ChloeD

Before buying my tortoise Maggie I did ALOT of research to make sure I could make to right home for her so she would be comfortable and happy! But unfortunately I did not think about where to get her. So I got her from a reptile shop close to me. She is absolutely beautiful! But after realising where her country of origin was I was worried! After researching online it seems as though she's doomed for a lifetime of health problems! I am taking her to the vets soon for a check up and to be wormed, but I'm just worried about her now! Can Macedonian captive bred tortoises live long and happy lives?
Thanks.

Attachments

• 1424631524607.jpg
    1424631524607.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 40

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
I'm not sure what you mean by these statements. As long as you follow the proper care requirements for this species, she will live a long, healthy life and potentially outlive you. Where she comes from does not matter as long as you're properly providing for her. Please read my care sheet at the top of this forum and visit my site hermannihaven.com. You will learn much of what you need to know in order to successfully maintain a Hermann's tortoise in captivity.

ChloeD

I probably should've mentioned that I'm from the uk. And I've read that you should only buy from uk breeders and not buy from pet shops as they have been imported.
Thank you for the website and the care sheet! I'll look at them both :)

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
You're welcome. Yes, Captive bred over imported is always advised and preferred but imported tortoises can and do live just as long, healthy lives so long as they are healthy and maintained that way.

ChloeD

That's really good to know! After researching online it came across as though they'ed all have health problems! Thank for your help.

ChloeD

I just have one more question. If I was to ever buy a uk bred tortoise, would they be able to live together without problems?

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Yes they very well can at some point live together but you'll want to be sure your current tortoise is free of parasites and anything it could be carrying. Taking it to your vet for a check up and blood work is highly advised. If all comes back clear, you're good to go. However, keep in mind that just because a tortoise is captive bred, doesn't mean it isn't carrying something itself. Even those born in captivity can have a load of parasites internally. This happens often when kept outside. It's not usually anything to really worry over and all tortoises need to have some level of beneficial bacteria in their guts, but an infestation can occur when stress is brought on. So, taking either or both to the vet for check ups is a great idea. Don't get alarmed by the presence of parasites though, it's very common and typically easy to manage.

ChloeD

Thank you for the great information! I want to try and learn as much as i can. I think it's turning into a new passion of mine! I'll take Maggie for her check up soon. Thanks again.