Maintaining Humidity / Tortoise Table

Crotalis

Location (City and/or State)
Mishawaka, IN
Hey! It's great to have a source of knowledge and experience to turn to! I've kept, bred, and raised Herps for about 35 yrs. Snakes, Lizards, Arachnids, Venomous Species, etc... However, this is my first go around with torts or turtles. I've just received 2 2-month old baby leopards from Andrew at Arizona Tortoise Compound. They are AWESOME! I can't believe I've been missing out on such incredible little creatures! I've got everything just right. Ambient Temps, Basking Temps, Diet, etc... But, I'm having some difficulty maintaining the proper humidity, overall, in the tub. Some areas are better than others. Recommendations? My reptiles have always been in enclosed habitats; humidity is easy to control, if you know what you're doing. But, I'm feeling a bit lost with an open-air enclosure. I'm using cypress mulch as a substrate. I've thought about periodically moistening the under-layer to keep a constant "flow" of humidity rising through the substrate. But... I also don't want to allow it to get damp, or allow for mold or other unwanted results... What are you seasoned professionals doing? I'm guessing that if I can milk an Indian Cobra, I should be able to do THIS. Lol. I just want these little guys to get the best! I've attached some pics of their tub.

Attachments

• IMG_20180322_213759.jpg
    IMG_20180322_213759.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20180322_213807.jpg
    IMG_20180322_213807.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 53

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It needs to be a closed chamber not open air. The leopards can take a substrate that is really wet. I have my hatchlings on repti bark and leaf litter that is wet, swamp like. I usually like coconut coir the best and I'm now liking leaf litter.

Crotalis

Mishawaka, IN
How can a tortoise table be a "closed chamber" without it being enclosed? Do you have any pics? Thanks!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
How can a tortoise table be a "closed chamber" without it being enclosed? Do you have any pics? Thanks!

You can’t, unless you close it. I would build a frame for the top that goes over the lights, and cover it with a shower curtain.IMG_1522102445.146259.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California