Major Vet Gripe

BoxyDorothy

Location (City and/or State)
Ft. Lauderdale
Our little Dorothy started showing some distress and we took her in to the vet. (Yes a reptile vet). She was prescribed antibiotic, they gave her an injection in office and sent us home with 4 shots. Today was the first shot from us, so we prepared everything, got ready and...

Well lets back up they prepared 4 injections in office for us and said to keep them frozen. Check.
I got it out of the freezer and pushed out all the air...only to find out that once the plunger was pushed ALL the way to the end where it could no longer move there was no way for ANY medicine to come out.

So I have 4 needs all the same. If I push them all the way down there is not ENOUGH in them to even reach the needle tip. This leads me to believe they did the exact thing in office and didn't even inject her. It's sunday so obviously they are closed, she was seen on Thursday, and I will very much be calling them back tomorrow, very unhappy.

How can they be this incompetent? They literally did not even inject her at all. I realized she is ONLY 36-40 grams and the does for her is tiny, but to not even put enough medicine in the needle for it to come out the end it nuts to me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Our little Dorothy started showing some distress and we took her in to the vet. (Yes a reptile vet). She was prescribed antibiotic, they gave her an injection in office and sent us home with 4 shots. Today was the first shot from us, so we prepared everything, got ready and...

Well lets back up they prepared 4 injections in office for us and said to keep them frozen. Check.
I got it out of the freezer and pushed out all the air...only to find out that once the plunger was pushed ALL the way to the end where it could no longer move there was no way for ANY medicine to come out.

So I have 4 needs all the same. If I push them all the way down there is not ENOUGH in them to even reach the needle tip. This leads me to believe they did the exact thing in office and didn't even inject her. It's sunday so obviously they are closed, she was seen on Thursday, and I will very much be calling them back tomorrow, very unhappy.

How can they be this incompetent? They literally did not even inject her at all. I realized she is ONLY 36-40 grams and the does for her is tiny, but to not even put enough medicine in the needle for it to come out the end it nuts to me.
Also, what is the original problem? Antibiotics don't cure "distress". What anitbiotics were prescribed? Please tell us it isn't Baytril.

In most cases the cure for whatever the problem is with a little baby tortoise is in the husbandry. 40 gram tortoise babies cannot handle injection on their already compromised little systems.

Is Dorothy a box turtle? What species? There is an art to starting baby box turtles and getting them to survive. One of our more experienced box turtle keeping members can offer tips better than I could.

torty6

Uk
I presume it was Fortum they gave? If so did you defrost it before injecting? It only takes moments holding it tightly the warmth from your hand will defrost. Because she is tiny it would only be a small dose.

COmtnLady

Colorado
You may be really lucky that it didn't work. Until you have the info as to exactly what the problem is, its better to not make it any worse.

Can you share more specifics? What species are you talking about, weight/size, symptoms, whatever else you can share? What is the antibiotic? What else did the Vet tell you to do (like soaking or dry bedding or feed something specific, tempuature of habitat, etc.)?

Did this Vet come recommended by someone you know who also has tortoises, or did you just find them in the phonebook/a Google search?

Most Vets don't know enough about tortoises and turtles to safely administer anything to them, despite them claiming to be reptile Vets. You would be better to consult the years of experience here, especially before you inject something possibly-lethal-despite-the-Vet's-good-intentions.

A perfect example here is:
The vet in the next town east, claims to know turtles and tortoises, yet keeps one (that he rescued from some kids kicking it down the street like a soccer ball) in a ten gallon aquarium with artificial turf on the floor of it, no actual substrate whatsoever, the aquarium light that came with the tank is on all day, no heater, no concern about getting enough UVB to avoid metabolic bone disease, a plastic plant for looks, and as far as I can tell only feeds it pellets. The lady at the desk is particularly snotty if you try to discuss any of the situation/care with her, and the Vet is too busy to listen, or too "knowledgeable". Yup, definitely a reptile expert. ( These are the same people, who, when I took a very mellow kitty in with failing kidneys, got all freaked out saying the cat was vicious, because they were looking at the wrong chart. Needless to say, I don't go there for any of my critters anymore.)

BoxyDorothy

Ft. Lauderdale
The injections are ceftazadime, for unspecified infection, yes we dethawed them it took all of 20 seconds. Suspected a disturbance in her substrate, they did not indicate respiratory issue. She developed swollen eyes, lethargy, and quit eating quit suddenly.

We had previously changed to coconut fiber substrate with some spagnum for moisture. The coconut ended up being extremely fine particles, even with keeping it damp, it was basically dust and I believe the issue developed from there. It would just be all over he if she go in/out of her water dish(shallow terracotta dish). I changed it to a larger fir bark this weekend. No dust, she can still burrow, not too small where she would eat it.

She has proper lighting 24 inch in hood light, 75 watt heat lamp, cool side, warm side 85 -90 max degrees, humidity around 50, outdoors(supervised), gets her soaks, was a voracious eater up until a couple weeks ago, however she will not eat any vegetation. She loves her live food and would come out for treats anytime we passed her tank. She even started getting chunky (hard to imagine at 40 grams, but yes), so I made sure we stopped over feeding. We supplement with mazuri and some vitamins+ calcium. We’ve had her since October and she has done amazing up until this incident.

We treated at home for 2 weeks but she was extremely lethargic and needed help. She was receiving vitamin A eye drops and now she has ciprofloxacin from the vet.

She received b12 and hydration in office as well. Waiting on her stool sample, she’s barely eating so nothings happening. She did however eat a worm on her own last night and gave me some SASS with the tweezers.

BoxyDorothy

Ft. Lauderdale
I presume it was Fortum they gave? If so did you defrost it before injecting? It only takes moments holding it tightly the warmth from your hand will defrost. Because she is tiny it would only be a small dose.
Ciprofloxacin, Did this, it was thawed in literal seconds. Pushed the plunger to remove air and to get the dose ready and the plunger was all the way to the end with zero liquid at the needle.