Making it a trio

AbbyLee22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Mexico
So I started seeing some possible bullying between my two Leo babies, AND I WAS PREPARED, and have them separated. Their still tiny, the older, bigger one about 18 weeks and the smaller one a month younger. I knew this was likely to happen, but hoped I had more time and would be able to put them outside when it became an issue. The one getting possibly bullied is eating and everything fine, if it truly was being bullied I caught it early.

My question is, would adding a third change the dynamic or once this bullying starts on this little guy there will always be issues? I know the theory is it keeps the focus off only one, but will she keep being targeted now that it has possibly started? Now I'm not just getting another to solve this issue! I actually had been looking at some babies that are from the same breeder even before I lost Jesse and have my eye on one special little lady :0) I don't want to get it of I am going to end up with three separate even though I have room for another enclosure if it comes to that, but I wanted to get some opinions and expert advice from you guys.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
In my experience with babies and juveniles, yes 3 changes the dynamics and would be a good idea.

Just keep this in mind....a trio of babies now means a trio of adults later. 3 adults take more space, eat more and depending on the sexes could need separation later or might breed.
Just stuff to think about...not trying to talk you out of it or anything.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I bought three based on this theory and now have 3 enclosures. You never know if it will work or not. I am thinking inside maybe, causes more problems than would have with larger outdoor enclosure? Plus I was paranoid about it.

AbbyLee22

5 Year Member
New Mexico
I am paranoid too Jodie, hence my struggle here. Thanks for the input.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
I'm buying one. Don't ha e space if it does not work out. But that's my way of thinking. :) it's a hard choice

AbbyLee22

5 Year Member
New Mexico
I certainly have outside room for three. Before I lost Jesse, I was thinking 4 was even fine. Not worried there really. Just, obviously, one indoor would be easier. :0)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Once bullying starts, it rarely stops. Adding another would most likely add another bully/ or victim. Leopards usually do well in groups, but they don't need to be, separate, and have 2 happy torts. It is what I would do. One must always think of the tortoise, not ourselves. :)

J.P.

5 Year Member
Philippines
i do not see a problem with buying another one, you just have to be prepared if the trio doesn't work.
i have four leopards of varrying size. they seem to get along fine. the closest sign i see of bullying is one of them(and it is second to the smallest) would lie over a pile of food and later eat it at leisure after everybody else has moved on. i have corrected that by providing separate piles of food. as to aggression, nobody is being pushed around, no territorial behavior, everybody seems to be allowed to go wherever and do whatever they please.