Male or Female? Help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyjude55

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi. I have had a three-toed box turtle, Tommy, for 1-1/2 years. He was sold to me as a male, but I'm having my doubts. I am going to try to get his picture on here. I couldn't get a pic of his tail from his underside because whenever I turned him over, his tail would go in. From what I've read about the size of the tail and the color of the eyes, I'm thinking Tommy might be a Tammy. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Janet

ATT00016.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Sometimes the eyes don't turn red or orange in males until they are in breeding condition. However, to me, little Tommy Turtle certainly does look like little Tammy Turtle!

Yvonne

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I used to own three toeds too when i was younger. we had a male (yoda) and a female (sophie) and your Tommy looks more like Sophie did...Yoda had some stunning colors...especially his eyes

heyjude55

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Sometimes the eyes don't turn red or orange in males until they are in breeding condition. However, to me, little Tommy Turtle certainly does look like little Tammy Turtle!

Yvonne

Yvonne,

Thanks for the quick response. I'm hoping the picture of Tommy's tail comes through okay. According to the vet, when I got him, he's about 12 years old. He was wild caught and got an infection shortly after I got him and had to have injections of antibiotics (not fun).

Thanks again.

Janet
P1010591.jpg

Meg90 said:
I used to own three toeds too when i was younger. we had a male (yoda) and a female (sophie) and your Tommy looks more like Sophie did...Yoda had some stunning colors...especially his eyes

Hi. Thank you for replying. I posted a pic of his tail (the best I could get). Were your turtles picky eaters? Tommy certainly is. He likes his worms, though.

Thanks again.

Janet

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You have a female Three-toed box turtle :)

Danny

heyjude55

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
You have a female Three-toed box turtle :)

Danny

Thank you all who helped in determining the sex of my turtle. She'll always be my "Tommy" and I don't think I'll change "her" name.

Janet

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I don't remember them as being picky...I do remember their fondness
for worms as well though!

Status
Not open for further replies.