Male or Female?

PatrickSD

da33faa99a228f21e7f66812a63c5848.jpg

Can anyone tell me the sex of this RF? It was sold to me as a male. It looks female to me. It is about 7 inches long. A larger male tried mounting today.

Should I assume that the larger male would know the sex of the small RF or should I try to prevent that?

Thanks

Hector108

It looks like it has a long tail, but from this point of view i dont see concavity on the plastron

PatrickSD

There is next to zero concavity. What you see in the picture is pretty much it.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Should I assume that the larger male would know the sex of the small RF or should I try to prevent that?

Thanks
Given that males will attempt to mate with rocks, shoes, the wrong end of a tort, flower pots... pretty much anything... and it can also be a dominance thing over either gender...

I wouldn't assume that a male knows anything other than he's full of testosterone.

If you feel it is bullying then you will have to separate.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
da33faa99a228f21e7f66812a63c5848.jpg

Can anyone tell me the sex of this RF? It was sold to me as a male. It looks female to me. It is about 7 inches long. A larger male tried mounting today.

Thanks
It's still a young Tortoise to sex. One of my males still had a flat plastron at 7". He's now coming up to 8" and its becoming obvious he's getting a concave plastron, so maybe over the next 12 months things will develop.
I'm guessing male. Do you have s photo from above?

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA
Looks female right now to me too - no sign of thickening of the anal scute, no concavity, not an overly thick tail, etc.

It appears big enough that some of these characteristics would be more pronounced if it were male, although redfoots can seemingly surprise you more than some other species.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Mine is almost 8" and he still doesn't have much of a concave plastron. It's starting to come in but is relatively flat. He has a long tail and obviously male anal scutes + the curved waist males get so I'm sure mine is male. I'd wait a bit for this one but I think I see the hourglass shape starting to develop. The anal scutes can go either way, it looks like it's heading in the male direction for me.