male or female?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yellowfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Male or female or is it still to small to tell? He or she is between 2-2.5 inches.

20120925_140222.jpg

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Looks female to me. But still small. I always got a good known sex when they hit 3" or so, then they will hit a nice growth spurt around that time too. Arachnoides or Brygooi?

yellowfoot

5 Year Member
Illinois
It is an Arachnoides. I was thinking female but its still so small. She has had a nice growth spurt this summer but is still tiny.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yep thats spider torts alright, super wee in size. I looked back at some of mine that are females. Looking alot like a girl to me and mine. Usually the females will grow much quicker than the males, at least in my experiance with the small ones growing them up. Any others in your group staying smaller or growing faster than the others?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Its very difficult with spiders even as adults they can be tricky. The tail is a give away when they are larger. Now these are Oblonga not Arachnoides but used as an example of how similar the anal scutes can be in male female comparison.

And now a female arachnoides arachnoides for more similar comparitive approach I suppose.

yellowfoot

5 Year Member
Illinois
This is the only one that I have right now so I don't have anything to compare her growth too. I am hoping to add more soon but I haven't had much luck with finding them.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Ahh. yeah they are hard to come by. Especially at a decent price. I use to see them alot around 350 for a hatchling but now people want 700-800 for a yearling. I know will ahresn is about to have some f2 hatchlings available soon I would imagine around november-january time. Keep in their you will find some. I know theyre some on kingsnake now but pretty high priced for the size. Given the rarity of them though I suppose they are in a market of their own.

yellowfoot

5 Year Member
Illinois
tortadise said:
Its very difficult with spiders even as adults they can be tricky. The tail is a give away when they are larger. Now these are Oblonga not Arachnoides but used as an example of how similar the anal scutes can be in male female comparison.

And now a female arachnoides arachnoides for more similar comparitive approach I suppose.

Thanks for the pics they definitely help.:) It isn't easy to find information on these guys.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Your welcome. Looking female to me at this point. The P.A.A I attached she was the one I had trouble sexing with about 8 years ago. They are hard to find info on. A very secretive tortoise species I suppose. :D

BFrederick

5 Year Member
I would agree it is looking like a female because of the small tail; but too young to be definitive.
I have also found that with the female and male I have from the same clutch, the female grew considerably faster.
They are now sexually mature, and there is no doubt now with the males tail being 3X the size of the females.
Males also exhibit a typical concave plastron as they get much older.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
tortadise said:

What happened to the photos?

That is way too small to tell. I have some that are around 3 inches and still hard to tell.

I have been producing Paa for the past 4 years or so. Contact me in the spring, I may offer some for sale. I have eggs incubating!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
You are soooo lucky, i would do anything if i had the money to have one of them...

yellowfoot

5 Year Member
Illinois
Tim/Robin said:
tortadise said:

What happened to the photos?

That is way too small to tell. I have some that are around 3 inches and still hard to tell.

I have been producing Paa for the past 4 years or so. Contact me in the spring, I may offer some for sale. I have eggs incubating!

I will definitely be contacting you.

Status
Not open for further replies.