Manouria breeding age

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Harlingen, TX
I was wondering how old Mee's have to be before you can get fertile ova. I've read that they can lay at about 6 years of age, but the eggs won't be fertile until they are about 12 years old. Is it possible that CB healthy females can produce viable ova at a younger age as opposed to WC? Any thoughts?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Our young female, Phae, was about 18 when she made her first nest. The young male was 20 when he started practice breeding all the girls. The female was about 40lbs and the male about 25lbs.

Oops! Sorry - these are Mep. My young Mee hasn't started breeding yet.

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
Do you think mee's can breed at a younger age than mep's Are those mep's WC or CB?

Berkeley

My emys emys were ten years old last year when they dropped their first successful clutch. They had dropped a clutch each of the two years previous (at 8 and then 9 years of age), but the first one was all malformed eggs that went bad (practice round) and the second set was lost due to my errors (I think they would have hatched had I not interfered and incubated correctly).
--Berkeley

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
Thanks! I'm looking into getting my first pair of temperature sexed 1.1 mee matchings hatchlings. How many successful clutches have you had now?

Berkeley

Thirty one. I am hoping for better success this time around!

--Berkeley