10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Borneo

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo
wellington said:
Nice. However any found in the wild, should be left in the wild, just my opinion.:D

If they are in a well wooded area like national park I won't dare or want to take them !!

Those I found and taken are from oil palm plantation or private land ( not jungle anymore ) the farm hand there will catch and eat if they found it first !!

But I do release certain number of yearlings from my hatch yearly to do my part for this specie ( Mee - Manouria emys emys ) to area I deem suitable and safe for them .

Cheers

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your pictures are amazing. I am really glad you joined and are sharing your amazing tortoises with us. Thank you. Please continue...

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
emystiong said:
wellington said:
Nice. However any found in the wild, should be left in the wild, just my opinion.:D

If they are in a well wooded area like national park I won't dare or want to take them !!

Those I found and taken are from oil palm plantation or private land ( not jungle anymore ) the farm hand there will catch and eat if they found it first !!

But I do release certain number of yearlings from my hatch yearly to do my part for this specie ( Mee - Manouria emys emys ) to area I deem suitable and safe for them .

Cheers

Awesome to hear that you are putting some back in the wild great job

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
What do you with the MEPs ? I notice you have some. Nice looking guys.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Thanks for sharing the photos. Your work with these animals is wonderful.

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo
Itort said:
What do you with the MEPs ? I notice you have some. Nice looking guys.

I sell some to finance this hobby of mine - feeding , housing need money !!

Cheers

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Congrats on all the success!!! I look forward to seeing more pics and hearing more about your conservation efforts!!! :D

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo
coreyc said:

I know those scientist will say what I am doing ( releasing captives into wild ) is not right ...... Bla bla bla ) but only healthy specimen are released !!

Cheers

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Very nice, glad you joined here theres not many of those :)

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo
Len said:
Nice , What do the impressa that you have eat?

For WC adults - Few type of mushroom ( oyster ...... ) wild yam ( par boil ) very few green and some fruits ( mostly tropical )

CB second generation above but more green and fruits plus pellets ( mazuri ..... )

Cheers

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
emystiong said:
coreyc said:

I know those scientist will say what I am doing ( releasing captives into wild ) is not right ...... Bla bla bla ) but only healthy specimen are released !!

Cheers

I am a scientist and not all scientists agree. I, for one, appreciate your efforts.

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo
Baoh said:
I am a scientist and not all scientists agree. I, for one, appreciate your efforts.

Thanks

Only doing as much as I can , I am In-situ I am in the first line !!

Cheers

wildak

5 Year Member
Nice to see your breeding Impressa. Do you have trouble getting market purchased or wild caught Impressa to survive ? The ones imported to the US are usually in really bad shape being full of parasites, dehydrated, highly stressed and need lots of care and a lot often die anyways.

Do you know if captive born are legal to export from Borneo ? I know Malaysia doesn't allow export as well as most countries.

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo
wildak said:
Nice to see your breeding Impressa. Do you have trouble getting market purchased or wild caught Impressa to survive ? The ones imported to the US are usually in really bad shape being full of parasites, dehydrated, highly stressed and need lots of care and a lot often die anyways.

Do you know if captive born are legal to export from Borneo ? I know Malaysia doesn't allow export as well as most countries.

Full of parasite is a must as these are from across the sea ( West Malaysia on mainland asia while I am on the other side ) Most reach me in pretty poor shape as well , but I managed just fine - sure there are casualties at first !!

Cheers

wildak

5 Year Member
quote" Pls don't ask me to break any more laws !!
I am already breaking many laws by just buying and keeping them!"

Just curious to the export laws. I don't knowingly purchase animals illegally.

I thought Boreno was part of their native range, according to the books anyways. I guess they could have been planted their from people at one time.

Do you know anything about the different colors from different regions ? It's difficult to tell from the ones we get in the US as they are often smuggled to markets from many regions before making it to the US.

Some of the imports I have are olive green like the one in your picture while others were all yellow. I find it hard to believe they all came from the same area.
I have also seen darker brown ones.

I'm just trying to learn what I can about Impressa as there's not much info out there in books.

Thanks
Bryan

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
emystiong said:
coreyc said:

Cheers

The Cayman Turtle Farm received mixed feelings from biologists when they decided to release captive green turtles into the waters surrounding Grand Cayman. So far, nothing has happened. IMO as long as the animals you're releasing harbor no harmful microbes I see no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.