MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR OUR YOUNGER MEMBERS ! !!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Last edited:

Kasia

Poland

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
My Logan won't be needing this anytime soon. He's a poop machine.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
At least they saved that nice Burmese Star!

But also slanted by the APA to further their goal of simply outlawing animals from being kept as pets. Tortoise keeping is bad because "75% of tortoises as pets will die within the first year". Not sure where they get that number, and not sure I disagree, but are they then saying they would be much better off in the wild where 99% would die their first year? I certainly agree with protecting and doing everything we can to ensure healthy wild populations, but I find the reasoning of a lot of "propaganda" almost comical.

Bee62

Germany
When I read trough all those "Help, my tortoise is sick!" threads here at TFO I suggest more than 75 % of tort babies ( no matter what species they are ) die in the first month after the purchase and a lot of baby tortoises die in pet-shops before.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
75% seems too high to me. I base this on personal experience with lots of vets, tortoise and reptile keepers, and years of retail pet experience.

Here is the other problem: The ones that die are dying because of ignorance and bad info. People don't start them right. 100% of my babies survive and thrive because I take the time to house, feed and care for them correctly, and because I know the "correct" way to do it. Regardless of what the percentage number is, we could bring it way down if breeders would take the time and effort to start them right, and new keepers didn't follow advice from the web, vets and breeders that tell them to put their baby outside all day, or indoors in a beef jerky maker.