mazuri diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristen A

5 Year Member
I just got that Mazuri diet for my sulcata to have once in a while. Do you toss it in the enclosure hard or do you moisten it. I bought it on line and was surprised that it didn't even come labeled.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: mauri diet

The "no label" thing is because the folks you bought it from have re-packaged it to sell. It comes from the factory in 20lb bags. In fact I THINK now the factory will sell you a smaller amount. There's nothing wrong with buying it from a re-seller. In fact its quite convenient for those of you with only one small tortoise to feed.

Some people feed it dry, some moisten it. In my opinion, it should be moistened for babies. I even go so far as to chop it up after I moisten it.

Kristen A

5 Year Member
Cirby is a 9 inch soon to be 5 year old sulcata. I tried it dry but I don't think she was all that hot on it. Then this morning I just misted it a bit. Would you soak it in water for 30 seconds if you really want to soften it?
I always am guessing if the quantity of food I give Cirby is enough or too much. I just gave her 4 pellets.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
I soak it even for my adults. Its much easier for then to eat that way and also a great way to keep them hydrated. You can soak it for a couple minutes. I've found warm water speeds up the process.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
My baby sulcata, Little Ricky will eat four in one sitting. Little Ricky is 4" STV and 230gms. I soak them in water. I don't moisten them, I soak them. Then I put in greens for later grazing. I do this every 3 days or so.

That's 290 gms.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The instructions for Mazuri do NOT recommend moistening it, apparently for two reasons- messiness (and attracting pests) and the water can leech out important nutrients. I usually mist mine or just dip it in water but after a while I just went dry and they seemed OK with it. You DO need to break it up a little for smaller torts.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
I put a little warm water and let the pellets soak up most of the water .. I worry about feeding dry for two reasons ... One, you see how big that little pellet expands, I don't want it doing that in my torts belly, and I would think it could dehydrate them. and two it is easy to chop up other things and make a Mazuri meatball .. And I guess I have a third reason, the calcium powder sticks nicely to it when wet and it is a way to get added water in your tort.

Kristen A

5 Year Member
I think what Watson party of four said makes the most sense. I will try it that way for a while.
Hey what do the numbers by your pets names represent?

Thanks

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Kristen A said:
Hey what do the numbers by your pets names represent?

Thanks

1.2.3. means
1male
2females
3unsexed hatchlings

i used to soak it, then moisten it now I run it under water while in my hand for a second or two and toss it in. i have no mess this way and he literally eats it all up. no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.