Mazuri, How Much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I started adding Mazuri to Herman's (my Sulcata) sping mix and he love's it. I noticed it has given him a lot more energie, he is walking all over the place even well into the evening now. He use to pretty much sleep and eat now since eating Mazuri he's up and active. My Question is how much should I be feeding him I heard someone say two pellets a day so that's what I have been doing, but I don't know how big there tort is. Herman is three inches not counting his head just shell. I would like to keep feeding him two pellets because he likes it so much and seems to be doing so well on it but I don't want to over due it. I also sprinkle a calcium & phosphorus with D3 on his spring mix once a day, and will be changing his light to a Trex 100watt tomorrow, since there is some vit D3 in the Mazuri and he will probably get some from the light should I back off on giving him the powder?

M

Maggie Cummings

Don't give him Mazuri everyday. Sometimes they get hooked on it and they stop eating the greens...you don't want that to happen. I sprinkle calcium about 3 times a week. It's my opinion that a Trex 100 watt bulb is too much for a 3 inch tortoise. You're gonna cook him. If you insist on using it pay close attention to the temperature inside his habitat. I'd keep it 16 inches or more away from his carapace...

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
What bulb should I use for a 3 inch tortoise? I have two 75 watt bulbs going during the day now that are side by side and his temp is 101. in the hot spot 72. at the cool end. The closest light is 17 inches away. I was just going to run the 100w by its self wouldn't that be less heat? please bare with me just trying to get this right. I am using a Dessert 50 that the pet store recomended but he was wrong about everything else so I'm trying to get the best lighting for him.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I think a 100 watt MVB is fine for a 3 inch tort. I used one on a couple month hatchling (he is a year now). You place the bulb however far away from the substrate to get the desired basking temperature (about 95 degrees F), between 12 and 18 inches away. 16 inches away may be too cold depending on the room temperature. It all depends on the room temperature and each bulb also varies a bit. I don't think in any way this is too much. I would however say the 160 or 250 watt one would be too strong. To use a MVB, this is the only option. I think these are way better than the tube UVBs.

I also agree to cut back on the Mazuri to more like every few days for part of the meal (I do once a week for part of a meal). Although it is one of the better supplement on the market, it is more high calorie than what they get in the wild. There are other things that can get him up and active. Make sure the temperature gradient is appropriate. Put his food far away from where he sleeps. Rearrange the cage furnishings. Increase the enclosure size.

He should not get any supplemental D3 since he will make a sufficient amount with the UVB light. Buy a pure calcium supplement. I recommend daily use until they are a few years old, then cut back a bit. You can't overdo the calcium as it is water soluble, but you can easily overdo the D3 as it is fat soluble. Not sure how much D3 the Mazuri has. I did not notice that until you mentioned it. Thank you for that information. So glad now I do not feed much of it. I really don't like the idea that it has all the vitamins as I prefer the natural route--I feed TNT powder on the tort's large variety of greens. I don't believe in vitamin supplements. Best wishes.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I think you tort is much more active because he is searching, serching...for more mazuri. They can get hooked on this stuff. :D

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
If you follow the instructions on the package... you can't go wrong. They suggest 2% body weight daily.

Also... if you are using Mazuri you really don't need UVB lighting.

If you are feeding him his fill... do this 2 or 3 times a week.

TortieGal said:
I started adding Mazuri to Herman's (my Sulcata) sping mix and he love's it. I noticed it has given him a lot more energie, he is walking all over the place even well into the evening now. He use to pretty much sleep and eat now since eating Mazuri he's up and active. My Question is how much should I be feeding him I heard someone say two pellets a day so that's what I have been doing, but I don't know how big there tort is. Herman is three inches not counting his head just shell. I would like to keep feeding him two pellets because he likes it so much and seems to be doing so well on it but I don't want to over due it. I also sprinkle a calcium & phosphorus with D3 on his spring mix once a day, and will be changing his light to a Trex 100watt tomorrow, since there is some vit D3 in the Mazuri and he will probably get some from the light should I back off on giving him the powder?

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
I didn't realize about the 2% body weight I didn't get the Mazuri in the original package.
I think your right Terryo the more he eats it the more he likes it!
Thanks for all the advice everyone.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
FYI, each pellet is about 1g, dry! I wonder if that's by design? I'll bet it is! So a 500g tortoise would get 10 pellets daily. My torts love the stuff, but I don't think they eat 2% daily.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I don't know where you're getting your pellets but less than a quarter pellet is about a gram... maybe less. (I'm saying less after reading the rest of this silly post)

2% daily is suggested. Most feed as much as they will eat in one feeding... that's 2 or 3 times a week.

(serious giggle) Misinformation at it's best

bettinge said:
FYI, each pellet is about 1g, dry! I wonder if that's by design? I'll bet it is! So a 500g tortoise would get 10 pellets daily. My torts love the stuff, but I don't think they eat 2% daily.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
-EJ said:
I don't know where you're getting your pellets but less than a quarter pellet is about a gram... maybe less. (I'm saying less after reading the rest of this silly post)

2% daily is suggested. Most feed as much as they will eat in one feeding... that's 2 or 3 times a week.

(serious giggle) Misinformation at it's best

bettinge said:

I buy from a local feed store and the 25lb bag says Mazuri! My pellets are 23mm x 13mm, what are yours? Must be my scale is out to lunch, odd since its usually right on with the Vet's! Must be the battery is bad!

So your saying 1 pellet is roughly 4 grams? I just weighed the last of my bag and 115 pellets weigh 132g, or about 1g each.

Mark my word, it was not my intention to misinform.......or insult you. Mistake maybe, yet I still come up with the same results! I can only assume my scale is bad, so I apologize for the misleading information!

Status
Not open for further replies.