mazuri question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, arizona
YEAH my Mazuri arrived today!!

I'm soaking it but wonder how long some of you soak yours before feeding.

I plan to do a lettuce wrap with the mazuri - the only sure way I know to get RV to eat it without knowing what it is... And yes, I still do hand feed.

many thanks

teri

whats a point to a line? -ferron

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I soak it about five minutes or so until it gets soft then they dig right in

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The Mazuri I buy is pretty fresh. I put 6 scoops (My scoop is about 2 cups) into a large bowl, add hot water to cover, then only have to wait about a minute or less for all the kibble to have absorbed water and become softened. This is for two aldabran tortoises. You deff. won't use that much for RV.;)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
In all honesty it should not take more than a minute or two to soften. I will admit I do let mine sit for 5 mins sometimes because I forget it is there. but they eat it none the less

HarleyK

5 Year Member
I leave mine in the water until it doubles in size and the core of the pellet is soft. This give a good opportunity for my tort to get hydrated.

I don't think my tortoise cares... as long as it is soft.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Teri...you shouldn't have to soak it at all...RV will love to crunch it...Aladar gets his dry once or twice a week...I only soak it for lasagne (and the yearlings :p)

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
Thank you for your swift responses! Much appreciated. While you were typing, I was getting the lettuce ready... and counting out how much kibble would fit. I soaked the mazuri until it was not mush, still held form and maybe a little crunch. .. and made a platter for RV

mazurilettucewraps.jpg

She was down in her den so I knocked on the door and sprayed a little water down the tunnel. (not much!). She was up in a flash, wanting to know what all the fuss was about!

DSCN2514.jpg

ah! FOOD! first bite was tentative.. a sniff first...

nottoosure.jpg

and then a nibble..

lettucewrap3.jpg

and it was GOOD! more please!

lettucewrap1.jpg

itsawrap4.jpg

lettucewrap2.jpg

I don't think I was just lucky getting the shot with her mouth open (well, I was :p ) but I think she liked the flavors she was getting and wanted to be sure she got it all!

Thanks Cory.. I'll be making a larger purchase soon.

teri

DeanS said:
Teri...you shouldn't have to soak it at all...RV will love to crunch it...Aladar gets his dry once or twice a week...I only soak it for lasagne (and the yearlings :p)

but Dean! you wanted more pictures, right? And the lettuce wrap thing is something I do with RV when I'm not sure she'll try a certain food item. I hide it until she gets the flavor, and if she goes for more, with gusto (see pics!) then I know I'll be able to feed it to her, no problem.

teri

J. Ellis

5 Year Member
Texas
Awesome pictures! I think she liked it, just a tad...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
mazuri burritos

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I recently have been using it a bit more than usual, for the simple fact that there is now snow on the ground :( I can't get the weeds and plants my torts usually eat in the same abundance (I do grow some things indoors, but not enough to feed 18 hungry torts indefinitely!!) and I have to rely on grocery greens (mostly collards, endive, escarole, frisee, red leaf, oak leaf, turnip greens, kale, and wheat grass.) I don't really approve of all the fillers it contains, but, as of yet I have seen no examples of where Mazuri is harmful... So we are trying it out :) I put it in to soak before I spray the enclosures down (each enclosure gets a "rain" right before breakfast) and by the time I am done it is good to go. I like it pretty mushy for the little ones, the bigger torts I leave some crunch to it.

My babies are really growing well, nice and smooth, and at a good pace.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Nice job Teri...love the creativity! What?! Huh!?! OK! OK! Hey Teri...Aladar told me to invite RV over for lasagne.:p

See? What did I tell you!
2ahib8h.jpg

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
Rv is saying... mom........ where did this come from? Are these safe people? and I've seen that picture of Aladar.....
nice looking lasagna tho.....

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
I feed my young tortoises moistened mazuri. The adults eat it bone dry!! I didn't think it would ever happen and one day I got the nerve to feed it dry. No problems!!

Whinhill

5 Year Member
Maine
Having returned to tortoises after a humpyfuf year lay off. I tried a few pelleted food this time around. I'd only kept greeks before (I have 4 now happily sleeping off the winter here in Maine now) and they only get weeds and leafy greens and are thriving. However I have 6 red foots now. I tried a few pelleted food anyway, to say the least they were biblically refused.

Today my Mazuri arrived it was tortoise crack to them, it a complete feeding frenzy. I have to say i was amazed how well they took it.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
Today my Mazuri arrived it was tortoise crack to them, it a complete feeding frenzy. I have to say i was amazed how well they took it.

LMAO!! What an image!

I hadn't thought of it in that way, but RV surely did think it was something special.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
DeanS said:
Nice job Teri...love the creativity! What?! Huh!?! OK! OK! Hey Teri...Aladar told me to invite RV over for lasagne.:p

See? What did I tell you!
2ahib8h.jpg

Aladar is a great looking sulcata!

We never give any of our hatchling or young torotise mazuri, only fresh vegitation. I know living in other states poss a challenge with the food sources. I know others that feed it on a regular basis and they soak it good before providing it to the tortoises.

samstar

5 Year Member
My torts are hooked on to it. I feed them Mazuri 4-5 days a week. The other days I feed them hibiscus or other leaves.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
ALDABRAMAN said:
Aladar is a great looking sulcata!

I'm pretty sure that's RV with a Photoshopped tortoise lasagna in front of her. But Aladar is also very pretty!!

Status
Not open for further replies.