Mazuri. Sometimes or all the time?

Travis

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin, USA
I'm just curious what everyones opinion of whether you should do Mazuri all the time or some of the time.

Personally, I have mazuri out all the time for them to munch on. I will give them greens a couple times a week, even if they don't really touch them. lol

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Any time.
Every time.
Some times I feed less if I have a lot of other foods available to me.
Some days they eat 100% good old Mazuri.
The only issues I've had are that sometimes I'll have a tort or two that after eating Mazuri for a while, will shun other foods for a few days in a hunger strike looking for more Mazuri.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I only offer it once or twice a week for my young tortoises. Even less for the large ones that live outdoors.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Because I have a terrible red ant problem, I can't feed slow-eating tortoises any kind of food that draws the ants to the food dish. My Aldabran tortoises eat fast and are finished with their food in about 15 minutes, so I give them Mazuri a couple times a week.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm about the same way in feeding it as ZEROPILOT. Lot less feeding of it in summer months though, then only once or twice a week. Winter time more.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Any time.
Every time.
The only issues I've had are that sometimes I'll have a tort or two that after eating Mazuri for a while, will shun other foods for a few days in a hunger strike looking for more Mazuri.
WOOHOO HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Any time.
Every time.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1476199627.291085.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
All the time, no. They need "real" food every so often in order to do the tearing, ripping, ect that the Mazuri just does not give those muscles and I would guess mental stimulation also.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I used to feed Speedy Mazuri twice a week , but it got up to 32 pellets twice a week which started to seem excessive to me ! I changed to a few every day covered with a big pile of well soaked Bermuda grass hay ! I also throw in some squash , or greens , whatever the "treat of the day" happens to be !

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I never feed Mazuri. I never tried it. It wasn't available when he was little. Charlie eats grass, weeds, roses and hibiscus mostly. There is enough growing in our yard year round to feed him. I don't have to buy anything.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
My redfoots get it every other day in the winter, much less in the summer.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
I have a sulcata. Sulcata get bigger, and they eat like pig and i don't want to depend on mazuri too much, it will be too expensive. Who knows what happen to mazuri in the future, the price, the availability.
I feed mazuri twice a week. He go crazy for both regular mazuri and mazuri LS. I chopped grasses and carrot along with mazuri. He never got plain mazuri, always at least mix with grasses.