Mazuri

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this or not, and if not I have no problems with this getting moved elsewhere.

I went to the feed store today and chatted with them out of curiosity about mazuri. Turns out they can order it for me. They only seemed to be able to get the 25# bag and the price was $27.99. Is that a good price? It's just a bit over a buck a pound so it doesn't sound so bad.

I also keep hearing about freshness being an issue from a lot of the people selling it on here. How do you tell if it's fresh? Does it go bad? How do you know if it's gone bad?

I'm considering buying it and incorporating it for the variety this fall when my greens selection decreases.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes, that is a good price. The manufacture date is on the little tag at the bottom of the bag, so you know if its fresh.

-JM

5 Year Member
How long does it take Mazuri to lose it's freshness?

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
-JM said:
How long does it take Mazuri to lose it's freshness?

Same question, but is there also a point where it goes bad? Also, what's a general price for a bag that size elsewhere in the country? Just out of curiosity.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know. I would guess that it is a process of gradual degradation like any other food. Probably depends on temperature and humidity too.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
There are oils, molasses, and soluble vitamins in the stuff that will go bad in about 6-12 months, but you can refrigerate it for a longer life. I use used newspaper sleeves to rebag and freeze mine when I use it.

elvis

5 Year Member
southern calif
Peanut, that's a great price.I purchase the 25 pound bag from my local feed store and dump it into a big plastic container with a tight lid. I've never had any problems

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Thanks elvis. How long does it last? The consensus seems to be that it's good for 6-12 months so maybe I'll buy a bag and then sell the other half. Who knows, we'll just have to see. I'm not looking at getting it until my green variety starts to decrease in the fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.