Mazuri

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Ok don't get mad at me. When Opo was young I tried mazuri half heartedly. No success because I couldn't handle Opo not eating. So I gave up instead of leaving it until he ate. Tried mixing it with other foods with no luck. Decided to give it a try since I have grown in knowledge and Opo's appetite has expanded greatly.
So I looked at the mazuri and there are different formulas.
What is the best formula for a sulcata?
Is Tortise Supplies tortise food comparable?
Thanks Ray

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most of us who've used Mazuri have found that the tortoise prefer the regular diet, NOT the LS formula.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I know... I know...I know. But to defend myself I have never told a newbie to use it.
I think????

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Thanks I was wondering if I would go thru 25lbs before it went bad.
My Redfoot is about 7" and 1000g. A two pound bag lasts me a couple months.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
If you can get your tortoise to eat the LS, I think you will see much better results. I stopped feeding the original formula to my radiata because over the winter it produced very loose stools. They do not like the LS anywhere near the original formula, but it completely solved the loose stool issue.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
If you can get your tortoise to eat the LS, I think you will see much better results. I stopped feeding the original formula to my radiata because over the winter it produced very loose stools. They do not like the LS anywhere near the original formula, but it completely solved the loose stool issue.

Yup, I'm thinking of switching my redfoot, Darwin, to LS ... it seems that more fiber and less protein and starch should be better for many types of tortoises.

I'm hoping it'll be pretty easy to get Darwin to switch ... so far he'll eat anything I put in front of him.

I bought five pounds of the original formulation of mazuri, and at my current rate of use it'll last for a year.

Jamie

Relic

Here
I've only used the original for my yellowfoot, a couple times a week, and he will move heaven and earth to get to it. Fresh greens and fruits? He can look at them for hours before he bites. Like a kid choosing between a Snickers bar and a bag of raw broccoli...

snivloc16

Kansas
I use the LS version for my hermanns. He seems to like it a lot But I started with the LS. So he’s never had the original.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
You can offer both, I did this with a group of 3 young females and had great results. They now have the mini LS that is small enough that it can be eaten dry by very small tortoises. Moisten the original and drop some of the mini LS in the mix and after a while separate them at feeding and still don't wet the Mini LS. I always had a bowl of each type out for them and they seemed to like both. as the tortoise gets bigger you can start feeding the larger LS without wetting it. And at some point you wont have to wet the original either, when it gets big enough. My old sulcata (Walker) wont eat the LS and prefers the original dry. And Like Mark B said I have never had any spoil.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thanks for all the info. I thought I had read about it spoiling. But I guess not gonna order tomorrow.
Thanks again

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
I like that the first ingredient in the LS is Timothy Hay and that it also includes beat pulp. I know beat pulp to be a good fiber source. I’ve tried (with no success) to supplement koopa with saturated beat pulp hulsk but its small and smells of dirt instead of crisp weeds and greens she’s accustomed to.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The 5M21 red label is what generally works well.
Even though a few weirdos do eat the L.S.
I threw an entire bag of that away.
The new bags no longer have the picture of the crocodile and tortoise. It's just plain and white and says "used by zoos".

Attachments

• 15621838956253027622032087562052.jpg
    15621838956253027622032087562052.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 15621839445209040932163573562382.jpg
    15621839445209040932163573562382.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7