Mazuri

Status
Not open for further replies.

redkim

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
That was great - thanks for putting so much time and effort into that Ed.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
more questions...

how much mazuri do you feed? is it an amount? as much as they can eat in 5 minutes?

also what is a good price to pay if buying in bulk (25 or 50lb)

also i called my neighbor feed store where i buy my bails of grass for my sulcatas, and i asked for Mazuri food, and they asked me for which animals? i said for tortoises, and they said they didnt have it. just mazuri food for lamas and koi. i proceeded to spell Mazuri to the lady and she confirmed that it was just for Lamas and koi.

is there more than one variety of this miracle food or do you feed Lama food to a tortoise?

you can all obviously tell i have no idea what im doing with this. im just used to feeding natural food. i would buy grass, lettuce, carrots, strawberries by the ton!

thanks!

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Mazuri has a full range of exotic animal feeds, if they carry any Mazuri they can order it in for you. Also any Purina dealer can order it in as well.

www.mazuri.com You can do a dealer search through the website.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Not a thing else... I used to thrown in weeds when I could find or bother to pick them... but for the last 2+ years the indoor tortoises get nothing but Mazuri... I don't recommend this. I'm saying it can be done with great success... but that's only 2 years.

What I recommend is what the manufacturer of Mazuri recommends... Mazuri with dark leafy greens.

I'll be posting an up dated report.

spikethebest said:
EJ-- when you say you raised your hatchlings on it, does that mean you ONLY fed them Mazuri, and NOTHING else, or that was their primary diet?

Just so I understand it completely (and so I can do the same thing for a Red Foot and Galp I'm getting)...

You feed them twice a week on Mazuri...and what else did you do?

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I feed as much mazuri as they wil eat in one sitting. Mazuri suggests a small amount daily... either works.

You can pay anywhere from $13 to $40 for a 25lb bag. $16 to $25 is average.

It's not a miracle food... it is a well thought out diet. To many long term tortoise keepers it is a thought of as a miracle food when you consider the time energy and effort that the average keep spends providing a diet that will keep their tortoise happy and healthy...

The product # for a 25 lb bag of mazuri is 5M21.

Ed

KQ6AR

10 Year Member!
Concord, CA
The only overwhelming thing I've heard against it, is the pesticide build up over say the 100 year lifespan of animals like tortoises.

All the materials are grown commercially for live stock that have much shorter lifespans. Hence no long term studies have been preformed.

Of course the only way around that is to grow you're own feeds, because the grocery store food isn't much better.

Dan

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I've been assured that all materials grown for live feed by Mazuri do not contain any pesticides... tests are done on a routine basis.

I have a letter from the manufacturer where these claims were addressed and found to be false.

This is just another ploy by the fear mongers... with no facts to base these accusations on.

Time will tell though...

Ed

KQ6AR said:
The only overwhelming thing I've heard against it, is the pesticide build up over say the 100 year lifespan of animals like tortoises.

All the materials are grown commercially for live stock that have much shorter lifespans. Hence no long term studies have been preformed.

Of course the only way around that is to grow you're own feeds, because the grocery store food isn't much better.

Dan

Lil' Tortie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Central TX
I think they should make them in green to attrack more hungry torti... :D

KQ6AR

10 Year Member!
Concord, CA
Hi ET,
Thats interesting, I thought all commercial growers used some form of pesticide, exsept the organic growers in US.
If you have a copy of that info I'd like to read it.

Thanks,
Dan

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
If you search the Tortoise Trust Archives you will find this topic and wehre it was addressed.

I guess you were ill informed.

Ed

KQ6AR said:
Hi ET,
Thats interesting, I thought all commercial growers used some form of pesticide, exsept the organic growers in US.
If you have a copy of that info I'd like to read it.

Thanks,
Dan

KQ6AR

10 Year Member!
Concord, CA
Thanks ET,

I'll have to check it out.
I don't think I'll believe it unless there are independent tests, not paid for by the manufacturer. But I might be surprised.

Thanks Again,
Dan

Hi Again,
I just used the search option on the tortoise trust website, but nothing came up for Mazuri. Thanks for the info anyway.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Unsubstantiated accusations are very easy to throw out...

Going the flip side... provide the evidence to support your claims.

You're welcome Dannie.

KQ6AR said:
Thanks ET,

I don't think I'll believe it unless there are independent tests, not paid for by the manufacturer. But I might be surprised.

Thanks Again,
Dan

Hi Again,
I just used the search option on the tortoise trust website, but nothing came up for Mazuri. Thanks for the info anyway.

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
-EJ said:

You're welcome Dannie.

KQ6AR said:
Thanks ET,

Thanks Again,
Dan

Hi Again,

Thank Ed for provide such wonderful information.

Does the Mazuri have enough Calicum or should I still use a calicum supplement with the Mazuri?

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
It's totally complete... No added calcium needed.

You're welcome.

Ed

soundwave said:
-EJ said:

You're welcome Dannie.

KQ6AR said:
Thanks ET,

Thanks Again,
Dan

Hi Again,

Thank Ed for provide such wonderful information.

Does the Mazuri have enough Calicum or should I still use a calicum supplement with the Mazuri?

Jeremy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have been feeding Mazuri to my Leopards,Stars,and Spider torts about once a week. I thought it was a little high in protine but many people have had such good results that I think I will start feeding it to them more often. Thanks for the imput.

Jeremy

glendab63

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
-EJ said:
I've been using it for about 8 years now...

I feed it exclusively to some tortoises and as a supplement to others.

I've used it on about 20 species of chelonians in addition to geckos and iguanas... It seems to cover the spectrum...

When they smell it...

These were about 6 inches when I got them roughly 8 years ago...
The smallest is about 9 inches in this photo...

Both or these have been raised from hatchling to... The big guy is over 100 lbs...

As most people who are acquainted with me know... I highly recommend the stuff...

I feed it twice a week... moistened... the guys I keep indoors I feed it exclusively too... no UVB needed at all.

spikethebest said:
Thanks Robyn for your input. Anyone have any more experiences they would like to share?

Robin can I ask ,your torts .are awesome the 2 large one I know the one on the right is a sulcata,but not sure about the big guy .and did you same he's only 8 years old.great job you've done with them they are beauthful

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
You might want to brush up on your search skills...

Let me walk you through it...

Go to the TT yahoo group...

In the box marked 'Search'... type in 'Mazuri'...

Lots of nostalgia pops up... thanks.

KQ6AR said:
Hi Again,

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Robin can I ask ,your torts .are awesome the 2 large one I know the one on the right is a sulcata,but not sure about the big guy .and did you same he's only 8 years old.great job you've done with them they are beauthful

Those are actually pics of some of -EJ's tortoises, the large one is an Aldabra. :)

shackleton

10 Year Member!
NYC metro
Hi all. -New here, my first post outside of Introductions. I've got some anecdotal info I can add.

I use Mazuri with my Egyptian, and have for about two yearly cycles. He loves it. Initially, I coated it with applesauce to entice him, but it proved quite unnecessary and he now eats it plain.

I use it only in the shoulder-seasons and the winter. Late spring through early fall he gets outside for several hours daily and grazes on his own.

Once the weather makes that impossible, he gets Mazuri roughly once every ten days. I soften it a little before feeding. (It gets soft VERY quickly in water.)

Also usually once, occasionally twice, a week he gets leafy greens (the usual suspects.)

As you can see, late fall, winter, early spring are times of reduced feeding for my guy: nearly every day in warm months becomes maybe twice a week when it's cooler. During these cold times his activity is correspondingly down, and I believe that reducing intake of food is beneficial, especially when you go from rough forage to rich processed stuff. I'm of the "Pets of all species tend to be overfed" school of thought.

Also important, I think, is that I soak him MORE in cold season than in warmer weather, because I believe hydration is especially important at that time of year.

Status
Not open for further replies.