mediterranean tortoise

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not wanting to be argumentative on this point, but in case you haven't noticed this previously, I am one who is not in agreement with the "no fruit faction" of the hobby. I fed my tortoises lots of many kinds of fruits for 60+ years and had no problems, plus was very successful in breeding about 7 or 8 species, many of them for the first time in captivity, and bred multiple CB generations of 3 of them.
I did have a feeling it was you but forgot.
I'd still like to recommend no fruit to newbies. They want to feed way to much and usually don't have a good food plan to begin with. Like this OP.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I did have a feeling it was you but forgot.
I'd still like to recommend no fruit to newbies. They want to feed way to much and usually don't have a good food plan to begin with. Like this OP.
Yes, you are probably right, although when a specific question about feeding a fruit is asked, I usually feel a need to reply.

Guess I'll try to keep quiet about it, but in my defense, I will say that each time I do mention feeding fruits to tortoises, I try to impress upon the reader(s) how to avoid the common problems if they choose to do so.

axmna

UAE, sharjah
That is a very poor diet.
No fruit! And you really need to improve the food selection asap Head lettuce is mainly water and very little if any nutrition.
Hi wellington! I have been giving my tortoise squash but it eats less off that so I end up giving it ice berg or lettuce and sometime red bell pepper in moderate amount cuz it doesnt eat the squash as much .. could you tell me what to do ?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Sometimes it helps to finely chop and improve new flavours with old favourites. Try that and then you reduce and add more if the new food.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As you do what Sara2020 suggested, you slowly use less and less of the bad stuff and more of the good until he's eating only better foods. It's not going to happen over night. May take weeks or months to get him to except newer better stuff but you have to do it!

axmna

UAE, sharjah
As you do what Sara2020 suggested, you slowly use less and less of the bad stuff and more of the good until he's eating only better foods. It's not going to happen over night. May take weeks or months to get him to except newer better stuff but you have to do it!
Okayyy

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
This may help you. It's based on UK plants but you may have many in common with us. It's a good guide to all sorts of plants.
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk
Just make sure any weeds come from safe chemical/fume free places.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Could you suggest me what to give my tortoise with the squash for a balanced diet?
This caresheet will give you suggestions for a good diet for your tort

Read that and use the tortoise table link to help you identify pants and which parts of them to feed.

Also look at
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/
That will explain all aspects of care.
It's a lot of reading but the only way to get the facts so read and then ask as many questions as you want.
If you follow the advice in those your tort should thrive.