Meet Fred

MrsO09

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
You haven't mentioned how Fred responds to you - how does he react to being handled and so on ? He has probably been fairly overwhelmed by all the changes in his life, but when you feel he is calm enough,do try to offer him gentle strokes on his shell, and on his head if he will let you. If you can get him relaxed in your hand,then it will be so helpful if he ever needs to be examined by a vet , as well as being very pleasant and rewarding to you !
Angie By the way, can you give an idea where in the UK you live ? I live on the Devon/Cornwall border, more or less.
He loves being handled, he loves a cuddle and being stroked on his shell and on his head. He fell asleep on my daughter’s leg the other day. I feel like he knows the sound of my voice as he’s head moves when I talk near him and he’s asleep. I think he has settled in quite well in the 2 months I have had him.

I’m from Kent.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
He loves being handled, he loves a cuddle and being stroked on his shell and on his head. He fell asleep on my daughter’s leg the other day. I feel like he knows the sound of my voice as he’s head moves when I talk near him and he’s asleep. I think he has settled in quite well in the 2 months I have had him.

I’m from Kent.
Bless him thats super positive! One thing I will say is now he’s getting used to handling, try to keep it to just when necessary, like moving him, soak time/examination&weighing, to bond with him definitely keep up with the cute little head scratches, if he’s enjoying and not going in his shell🥰another way to bond is hand feeding snacks💕

MrsO09

Uk
Bless him thats super positive! One thing I will say is now he’s getting used to handling, try to keep it to just when necessary, like moving him, soak time/examination&weighing, to bond with him definitely keep up with the cute little head scratches, if he’s enjoying and not going in his shell🥰another way to bond is hand feeding snacks💕
Yes he does love me hand feeding him. I’m literally obsessed with him.

zolasmum

5 Year Member

I’m from Kent.
Oh, that's great! Zola loves a cuddle and stroke too,and fortunately is still small enough (just over a kilo) to be easy to handle. He is quite small for an adult Hermann, and Fred may well get bigger than that.
Actually, that reminds me of something I should suggest - keep a record of Fred's weight and also, if you put him on a blank sheet of paper and draw round his shell, not including legs - then cut this out and date it- you can build up a record of his growth, which is really interesting to look back on.
Angie

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Oh, that's great! Zola loves a cuddle and stroke too,and fortunately is still small enough (just over a kilo) to be easy to handle. He is quite small for an adult Hermann, and Fred may well get bigger than that.
Actually, that reminds me of something I should suggest - keep a record of Fred's weight and also, if you put him on a blank sheet of paper and draw round his shell, not including legs - then cut this out and date it- you can build up a record of his growth, which is really interesting to look back on.
Angie
Oh I love that paper idea!! Wish I’d done that!

MrsO09

Uk
Angie
Hi ya, yes I have started weighing him and measuring his shell. He is currently 32g and he’s shell is 8cm.